How can I get my son who will be 2 years old on the 29th of this month, to stop suckinh his thumb?

He started sucking his thumb after I stopped breastfeeding him when he was 10 months old.

janaii888

Asked by janaii888 at 10:25 AM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I used to suck my thumb and I stopped when I family friend told me my thumb would shrink to nothing and ppl would laugh at me, he said, hold your thumbs together and I bet it's already shrunk a bit. If you look at your thumbs together, they're not they exact same length anyway and this stopped me totally!
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 2:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Best of luck! I'm a 29June baby too. I didn't stop sucking till I was 14 and that was only because I was embarrassed. I only did it at night when I went to bed or when I was TOTALLY alone, my family gave me heck for it all the time. To this day I do not sleep like I used to. I say let your son stop on his own. Thumb sucking is soothing and relaxing. When he gets stressed he can suck..tired...suck...bored suck. Nowadays I wish I never STOPPED! I promise you he will not go to college sucking his thumb. If only all our problems could be solved with finger sucking.
    Hugs!
    Shele
    SHELEBELLE

Answer by SHELEBELLE at 4:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2008