How much do you spend on groceries in a month?

I have always been curious about this, being as we are really trying to cut back alot but even for just our small family of three (myself, DF, and our nine month old son) we still seem to spend ALOT I even do the coupon thing but still to no avail we spend alot on average about $450 a month that does include everything though, all personal care products and even diapers. So my question to everyone is how much do you spend, and what (if any) tips do you have for cutting back price wise?

hautemama83

Asked by hautemama83 at 1:56 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 2 (-14 Credits)
  • I remember when I used to spend a lot less but, times have changed. I don't use coupons because most of what I buy is off brand. My biggest expenses are meat and fresh fruits and veggies. We don't eat junk food or buy soda. I make supper every night and our menu (I make one before we go shopping and follow a strict list) depends on what meat is on sale or what's on a buy 1 get 1 free deal. We spend around $150-$200 a month just on meat. Pluys my teens come home for lunch so I make lunch for them every day. They all move out next year (2 are my sons who will be Seniors next year and the other is my 17yo's gf who is currently a Senior, she doesn't pay rent to live here because she's in school, she'll start college in the Fall and all we care about is that she maintain good grades) and I am excited about having our grocery bill drop to less than $300 a month! It's those little things that excite me. LOL
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:31 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I can't help you there because for a family of 4,(me, DH, 7 year old son, and 15 month old daughter) we spend $600 a month. That doesn't include clothes or books or school stuff. Just food, diapers, hygiene products, health products, and cleaning supplies. But we eat a lot of big meals. We do big breakfast at least every other weeks, every dinner is a main dish, 2 sides, plus bread or rolls. And my husband comes home for lunches so we get convenience things he can make quickly and get back to work.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:06 AM on May. 27, 2009

• We spend between $300 and $400 a month. It's me, my hubby and our 7 week old DD. I am BF so the only expense for her is diapers. We shop at Sam's and that's where most of our money goes.
    MadisonsMom0408

Answer by MadisonsMom0408 at 2:07 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I would say we spend about the same as you do. But that is just on the food. But I also have a teenage son in the house that eats me out of house and home!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:08 AM on May. 27, 2009

• On everything you are buying I spend about $675-$750 a month for a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 teens). On just food it's about $575-$650.

tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 2:11 AM on May. 27, 2009

• OMG tracylynnr67 I dont know how you can afford it, we would be broke totally if we had to spend that much a month
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 2:12 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I can see how she would spend that much feeding 3 teens and two adults though. Damn shame food cost so much!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:13 AM on May. 27, 2009

• It is just me and Alex (10) but now that he is eating so much more! Geez Louise! I would have to say $180-$220 per month. I am always stocking up during sales but this boy is starting to eat everything in sight! I clip coupons and even double up with sales at maybe 2-3 different stores but it is hard for me to buy extras. I do generic brands whenever I can.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:20 AM on May. 27, 2009

• 300+
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 2:20 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Oh and that is JUST on food.
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 2:24 AM on May. 27, 2009