How do you discipline a one year old????

My son is now 13 months and is such a joy. However, recently he has started pulling my hair and then laughing and now he keeps trying to knock his father’s glasses off his face. We hold him all the time, co-sleep, and are constantly giving him all of our attention! I am so upset he won’t listen and when we say anything like “don’t do that please” he will shake his head NO. Sometimes he laughs about it other times he looks at us studying our faces and reactions. Help me out Mom’s I am at a real lost here.

Sarahedger

Asked by Sarahedger at 2:42 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Redirect and let her know its a no no. When she shakes her head she isn't being defiant she is mimicking you, and you should praise her for it. Tell her, Yes that's right, doing so and so is a no no. Its not nice, ETC. Then redirect her to another activity. Be consistent and soon she will get it. It will take time for her to realize the reasons your saying no and then more time to learn to not do them. (got that straight from The everything Toddler book, so it comes from the big bosses) Its worked well for my son who is almost 20 months. I suggest reading it to every mother of a toddler its very very informative. You should never hit a child this young though. They just wouldn't understand why your doing it. A firm no will have the same effect at his age as hitting.....not bashing those of you who do, just making a statement. Good luck momma!
    mitty18

Answer by mitty18 at 10:33 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Just keep redirecting. At this age he cannot understand discipline.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:43 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I would recommend putting him down and telling him that you can't hold him if he hits. Babies and kids are much smarter then most people give them credit for, so talk to him and explain things to him, he'll understand.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 AM on May. 27, 2009

• ladybugThank you both Anonymous May 26 I will for use give that a try...but I have done it before and not had it really work well. Maybe I should try that with redirecting thank you both for your time and great input

Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 4:15 AM on May. 27, 2009

• My daughter is 20mo old now. She has gone through the "slapping the glasses of your face" phase. Everytime she'd go to grab at my glasses, I'd grab her hand and tell her "No, you don't do that." If she kept trying to grab at them, I'd put her down, cross my arms and give her a sad/mad look. Her smile would disappear and I'd tell her that she hurt mommy's feelings cause she tried to hurt mommy. She'd hug me and I'd pick her back up. If she tried to grab at my glasses again, I'd set her down again. She eventually stopped. There's really not much you can do with a child that young. Now she's into the "throwing food" phase. If you have any advice on that one, please let me know!!! Good luck. It will pass, he's just trying to test boundaries.
    kayla_trinity

Answer by kayla_trinity at 4:28 AM on May. 27, 2009

• We started with baby timeouts at around 10 months; we would hold her on our lap, immobilized, and count backwards from 20. At around 18 months we switched to 1 minute in the sad chair/sad corner.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:20 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Well my solution may be undesired, however, it does work.

When my children pulled hair, slapped glasses, bit people, threw things, etc....

I held there face lightly so they were looking at me iin a stern voice I said "No do not do that"

the next time it was done, I popped thier hand.

after 3 or 4 times it was no longer an issue, they understand more then you think.
    Tinamarie79

Answer by Tinamarie79 at 6:56 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I go with the idea or redirecting. It requires more patience than other methods but it works and you don't have "pop" your kids if you are not comfortable with that (no judgement on the pp about it just saying this is an alternative that does work, your decision is yours and that's that.). Simply say "NO" then put the child down and give them something else to do. The more you interact over it the more it becomes a game. Just say no, and mean it. In fact, every time you say no you should back it up with a demonstration that you mean it whether you put them down, stop playing with them, take away a toy, or give them a little slap on the hand there should be something concrete to back up the sentiment.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:12 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Redirect, these people don't even know they're in the world yet, you have to be able to think to learn.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:31 AM on May. 27, 2009

• A one year old CAN be disciplined. A one year old CAN think! A one year old CAN learn! (how else do they start walking, start talking, play with their toys, etc?)

I agree with the first anon. Put the kid down and tell him he can't be up if he's going to misbehave. If need be a little tap on the back of the hand and a stern "NO".
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:40 AM on May. 27, 2009