If I choose to breastfeed my next child do you think that my first child will be jealous or feel left out since I didn't breastfeed him?

I am not currently pregnant. However, I do highly consider breastfeeding if/when I have another child although I chose not to breastfeed my first one. I just wonder what it will be like for him. I don't want to make him feel as if I have something special with one child that I didn't have with him. I hope that makes sense. Has anyone ever done this before? If so what was it like for the child that didn't get breastfed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 AM on May. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• Ha Ha! I breastfed 2 out of 3 of my kids. Guess what? The one that wasn't breastfed teases the other two! It will be fine. ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I didn't breastfeed my 1st born, but did my 2nd & it has never been an issue.  They are about 3 -1/2 years apart, so my older was old enough to understand what I was doing while I was nursing.  My mother had 4 children & only nursed 1, #3.  I'm the oldest of the group & can honestly say I've never thought of it, although as a mother myself I understand your sensitivity in the matter. 

Tweeby

Answer by Tweeby at 4:04 AM on May. 27, 2009

• SIL is currently doing just that with her 2 year old and 4 month old. The 2 year old doesn't even seem to notice. I think it depends on the age of the older child and as long as you don't mention that you didn't nurse the first one they probably won't even know. Her 2 year old has been around me nursing and his other aunt giving bottles so he sees both now.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:20 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Do you really think a kid is going to remember how he was fed as an infant?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I doubt your kid will care. My mom breast fed my brother but not me I would have never know had she not told me. It wasn't a big deal not like anyone can tell who was breast fed and who wasn't. We all turn out the same in the end.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Anon :12, well said!

I know my brother was formula fed. I have no clue how I was fed. I don't even care. I was fed and raised.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on May. 27, 2009

• No child will care how they were fed, as long as they were fed.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:04 PM on May. 27, 2009