What reaction would you have to this?

Someone tells you that they have No hot water, No Refridgerator. That they are pregnant and have a toddler, and that they are staying in a home where they have no way to keep food, bathe, wash dishes, or do laundry because to top it off their rinse cycle isn't working?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Health

• My reaction would be that I would want to do what ever I could to help them. Finding them a proper place to live, job, and someone to talk to about their situation so that this wouldn't happen again to them. Being a good friend is important right now. haveing an organization help them out would be very helpful also.
    susan6xblessed

Answer by susan6xblessed at 3:36 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I'd think she was whinning, although I would probably help her get a fridge. I gave one away last fall, and I know you can buy them on craislist for as little as $50
    It's very easy to fill up a pan of water and heat in on the stove for a bath or to do dishes in, I still don't have my own washing machine, and use a clothes line.
    It's more work but we're happy and far from starving.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I would find a social services agency who can help them

Answer by rkoloms at 5:12 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I would call social services, too.
    A family cannot live without the basic necessities, and that includes water and food. It almost sounds as if she doesn't have electricity or gas for the hot water, either.
    She really needs some guidance and some help.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:25 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I agree with PrydferthMenyw. However, maybe the mom could use some help from you by keeping the baby for awhile until she gets on her feet. I'm sure the mental stress she must be going through is exhausting, and trying to care for a baby at the same time has got to be draining her physically as well. If the mom knew that her little one is in good hands and being cared for properly, then maybe she could go out and look for a job, and get the services she needs with the added worry of her baby. Good Luck
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 12:08 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I agree with PrydferthMenyw.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:38 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I once had a problem with my machine and it was a pain. I washed in the tub for a while then hung them on hangers and used my parents washer sometimes. I guess if they are getting clean every day and they are working their best to get out of their situation and telling people that could help them such as their church then they are trying. This is hard times we are living in. Maybe show them some resale shops and help them get there.
    GarlicMom

Answer by GarlicMom at 2:34 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I would be contacting the local Social Services office
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:44 PM on May. 27, 2009