MY SON HAS CAVETIES!!!!

Hi my son is 18 months and he has a few caveties on his 4 front teeth, I don't know how he got them but he dose, I give him juice like about 4 ounces a day and at night he has some too and milk, if i just give him milk he gets constepated andi tryed to get him to drink water he wont he just throws the cup, I feel so bad i dont know what to do, what would the dentist do to his teeth would he cap them or just leave them like that please help thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just like grownups, kids need to have their teeth brushed twice a day (this starts by wiping their gums with a soft cloth when they are infants); after they brush their teeth at night, they should only have water to drink. What kind of milk are you giving him? Cow milk is for baby cows; give him a fortified rice, hemp or soy milk. Start diluting his juice with water (do this gradually over a couple of weeks) until he gets used to it; you can take him to the store to pick out his own "big boy" water bottle (Sigg or another stainless steel is best). Is he getting enough calcium and other minerals? Here is a great article on calcium: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html
    The dentist will probaby have to fill the cavities; this won't be fun for any of you and will, unfortunately, make him hate going to the dentist.
    Good luck!

Answer by rkoloms at 5:09 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I strongly encourage you to go to a dentist who will allow you to go in the back with your child. Most will not allow this so you may have to drive out of your way.
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 6:09 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Check out ada.org (american dental association). There's a wealth of information there including pictures of mild, moderate & severe decay in babies. Hopefully, you are in the mild range. A pediatric dentist will probably use nitrous oxide (laughing gas) to calm your child during repair. And, as rkoloms stated, teeth need care as soon as they exist. Even if your child just chews on the brush for a few minutes and barely lets you get a swipe around the teeth, it helps. Then, make sure your child's teeth stay clean for the night. (re-brush if he eats or drinks anything but water)
    cutiemoose

Answer by cutiemoose at 8:57 AM on May. 27, 2009

• no drinks after brushing teeth, thats a major rule you have to stick by. brushing twice a day is recommended too. cow's milk is ok. pedi actually told us to start on whole milk at 12 months.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 9:31 AM on May. 27, 2009

• "cow's milk is ok. pedi actually told us to start on whole milk at 12 months. "

It may be "ok", but not after brushing teeth, and is completely unnecessary for their diet; there are other ways to give them calcium that is better absorbed.

To the OP: what the dentist will do depends on how close to the nerve the cavity is. AFTER my young children developed cavities I found out my dh had weak enamel and had his teeth sealed as an older child to prevent cavities. My 4yo was able to have his teeth done in the office; my 2yo, whose teeth were worse (and who RARELY had juice and I was more vigilant about brushing) had to have hers done in the hospital.

If you completely stop offering milk/juice and only provide water, eventually he will drink. I gave my first cow's milk and diluted juice at first but eventually stopped offering it as a beverage. He now REQUESTS ice water.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 9:47 AM on May. 27, 2009

• yeah, you need to be brushing his teeth twice a day...and nothing to eat or drink at night after you do so. Do you put him (or did you put him) to bed or nap with a bottle? It could be whats called bottle rot...yuck. Also, how's his diet? Does he eat plenty of fruits and veggies and avoid sugar? That's a lot of cavities for such a little baby...poor thing...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on May. 27, 2009

• becasue you should not for no reason give juice at night. Milk is bad enough. You should be brushing teeth atleast 2xs a day. He has what is called bottle rot my friends son had it and had to have his front teeth capped.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 10:28 AM on May. 27, 2009

• My son loves his juice and milk at night...if he drinks it I just brush his teeth again after he is done. If he is still thirsty try to get some aquafina flavored water. My son loves the grape water...it taste like juice but has no sugars or other additives that will harm his teeth in his sleep and it will cure his craving for a drink at bed time. We had to do this because my son is not a huge fan or regular water either. I hope this helps.
    meagen22

Answer by meagen22 at 1:00 PM on May. 27, 2009

• My son got cavities on his front 4 teeth too at 18 mos. it was because he nursed to sleep. I took him to a pediatric dentist who filled the cavities. It was pretty traumatic for my son. But a year later, still nursing but no cavities. We brush a lot.

the milk and juice before bed is what is doing it. Brush right after if you can. And find a good pediatric dentist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on May. 28, 2009