what happens when baby has low amniotic fluid?

butrflyekises

Asked by butrflyekises at 4:44 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• How far along are you? The baby needs the fluid to live inside you... and if s/he is running out of water.. has your doc talked to ya about it? They should be keeping close tabs on it for sure
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 6:10 AM on May. 27, 2009

• It's not the baby that has low amniotic fluid, it is YOU who has low amniotic fluid or Oligohydramnios. Click on the link above for more information about it. It was detected in my first pregnancy at the 38 week mark, so I was induced.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:59 AM on May. 27, 2009

• the fluid is at a 2 basically the lowest it can get they said im in the hospital on fluids and monitors and im 33.4 weeks : ( they are hoping to keep her in until 35-36 weeks but im just wondering if there are any after birth effects on the baby that any one has heard about or any one who has experienced with this situation
    butrflyekises

Answer by butrflyekises at 10:05 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I wouldn't want to "freak you out" by telling you things that may or may not happen. It's better for you and your baby to just relax, listen to your doctors, and do what they tell you to do. You can lose sleep over all of the "what ifs" and even then, it may have been all for naught!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:24 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I delivered my second daughter at 37 weeks with this. It's called Ogliohydramnios. It caused IUGR so she was a tiny little peanut- just 4 lb 12 oz. They decided it would be better for her to be born so she could thrive outside the womb and they were right. Its not always the case, sometimes it can be corrected by just upping your water intake.
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 11:59 AM on May. 27, 2009

• My water broke at 31 weeks with my first within 3 days his heart rate decreased and they did a c-section. They said it was because the fluid was too low. I would go to the hospital because when its low you don't want to take any chances of the baby's heart rate dropping or a risk of infection.
    Jessi101088

Answer by Jessi101088 at 1:18 PM on May. 27, 2009