breastfeeding question?

I am only 18 weeks pregnant but i know i am wanting to try and breastfeed because i didnt with my son.. My friend told me that when you breastfeed you dont have a period is this true?

proudmama930

Asked by proudmama930 at 6:56 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Every woman is different, but on average women who exclusively breastfeed on demand do not have a period until 6 months or more. With both my kids I nursed past 12 months old (18 months with first and still going at 23 months with the second) and I didn't get my period until about 15 months with both. Be careful though because that does not mean you cannot get pregnant. A cousin had fertility issues with her first 3 pregnancies (over a year to get pregnant and needed drugs) and thought she would be fine because she was nursing. At 6 months PP she went to the doctor to get BCP and found out she was about 4 weeks pregnant!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:59 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Some women do get their period back soon after birth while breastfeeding, but some others don't get periods for the duration of the time they breastfeed - could be 6 months, could be 3+years.

I got my period back a few days before my daughter turned a year old.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 8:21 AM on May. 27, 2009