Is it normal if my son cannot talk fluently?

My son is 3 1/2 years old but he cannot speak very well. he can say things but not fluent. What advise you can give to me. My husband is worried but i told him that in time he can speak fluently. give him time.

Pisache

Asked by Pisache at 7:34 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He should be evaluated. By the age of 2, children should use about 50 words and phrases. By the age of three, 80% of what they say should be understood by others and they should be using 4-5 word sentences at the least.

I would call the school district special education services department and voice your husbands concerns about your son. Help is available so children don't have to be behind, why not utilize that help?

I have two sons in speech therapy. My 2 year old has a severe delay and my 3 year old a moderate delay in articulation. Speech therapy has helped them a LOT.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:31 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Yeah he needs to be checked. Get him in a speach therapy.
    By that age he should talk "normal" meaning you can understand them and they speak full sentances.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 10:01 AM on May. 27, 2009

• You can get him checked, but I wouldnt' get too worried about it. I do know that a lot of kids have problems, my former FIL was convinced that my DS was having problems because he didn't really talk much. He was just one of these kids that would sit and mentally figure stuff out before he did anything about it. My DD on the other hand? You couldn't get her to shut up...if her eyes were open...her mouth was going. Most of the time I think it was partly the DS couldn't get a word in at all.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 10:56 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Make him an appointment. Good luck, hope he's fine.
    KRISTAL_WILDER

Answer by KRISTAL_WILDER at 10:59 AM on May. 27, 2009

• It depends on what you mean by fluent.
    People who are around him all day (you and hubby) should understand at least 90% of what he says. Strangers should understand 75 to 80%.
    He will make grammar mistakes for years and have pronunciation problems for a few more years - many 5 year olds still don't make all of the sounds in the English language.

When in doubt, ask an expert. Have him evaluated. If he is fine, you'll know and can ease your mind. If he is having problems, you'll be getting him the help he needs. Win-win.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:08 PM on May. 27, 2009

• The best advise I can give you is to bring him to a pediatrician. I was worried about my 2 1/2 year old's speech. I was so sick of thinking about it, that I finally just made an appointment with her pediatrician. He said she probably was on track with her speech, but I was still concerned, so he made an appointment for my daughter to see a speech therapist and also to have a hearing test, just to put my mind at ease. I worry alot! The speech appointment was so well worth it! My daughter thought it was fun and the hearing test was reassuring as well. She tested fine on her speech and hearing was pretty good, but she could've done a bit better in her one ear. We are going to have her hearing tested again when she turns 3 just to make sure she's is still hearing normal. The test they do on 2 yr olds is kinda iffy and hard to do really. I would just get his speech checked and hearing if you are worried.
    ihave3turkeys

Answer by ihave3turkeys at 12:15 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I would get him evaluated by a speech therapist (consult your ped first and he/she can refer you to a few).
    My son went to Speech Therapy last summer when he was 3 1/2. He was able to talk but when he did it was almost like he was speaking in this mumbling run on sentence sort of way.. Very hard to explain.
    Anyway, within a few times seeing the therapist I saw a dramtic difference. He did that for about 3 months then went on to preschool and he is speaking so well now.
    BSFreeMama

Answer by BSFreeMama at 12:41 PM on May. 27, 2009

• By that age everyone should be able to understand him, not just parents. Your school district should have free screening for speech, it is important to catch things early! If they evaluate him and find no problems then that is great, but if there is a delay the sooner you get him help the better! My son was 3 when he had speech and it made a world of difference. He was getting so frustrated when people could not understand him, he is 7 now and has no problems.
    LCCTracie

Answer by LCCTracie at 3:48 PM on May. 27, 2009

• You definitely should consider getting his hearing checked. A good audiologist can do a great job testing his hearing; it is not impossible or hard to do if the audiologist has lots of experience with kids.

My daughter was born with a moderately severe hearing loss and is doing great now because we knew early on and got her hearing aids.

I would not just accept a pediatrician saying that your son is fine; go ahead and get a referral to get his hearing checked and get him evaluated by the local school system. That way you know if there is anything you need to do. (Most pediatricians I know are not knowledgeable about hearing loss.)
    lauraslefthook

Answer by lauraslefthook at 8:51 PM on May. 28, 2009