Do you keep secrets?

What would you do? I was invited to go to a party but I know others who were not invited. I am very friendly with one of the people who was not invited and I have been asked (as have the others) not to say anything to anyone about the party. I am worried about keeping this secret b/c I don't want the person to feel like I was keeping a secret from them. Would you tell the person or just keep it to yourself? I am sure this person will see pictures of the party and eventually hear about it and I don't want any feelings to be hurt. Advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The party is probably going to happen whether or not you decide to tell, therefore feelings are going to get hurt either way. The best I can say is if you feel guilty about the situation maybe you should remove yourself from it and just don't go to the party. If someone asked why you didn't say anything later, explain how you feel, but at least you won't have added insult to injury by going. You can come up with an excuse as to why you aren't going!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 7:54 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I'd say the best thing you can do is to not go to the party. Especially if the people that are purposely not being invited are good friends of yours. It sounds very catty and immature of the person throwing the party to purposely not invite someone AND then to ask the guests to do the same. It sounds like something from high school. It's a pact to shun someone. If you care about these people then just don't go.

Don't say anything to the friend that wasn't invited, but make plans with her that night. Then she won't feel so bad about missing out on the fun.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:28 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I would tell the person that invited you to the party not to place you in that situation, and that you wont keep a secret from your friends. You can still go to the party and keep friends with both people (I've had friends that didn't like each other just agree not to talk about the disliked friend) I would Tell the friend that was intentionally not invited because if you let them discover it on thier own it will hurt more. Be a friend and confess to both people, if they don't understand, they aren't friends.
    AtlantaMomOfOne

Answer by AtlantaMomOfOne at 8:39 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Ok, so more information, the party is very important, not something I cannot go to. Kind of like a wedding. The person not invited is not invited b/c she is not really friends with the person who is throwing the party. They know each other but are not friendly at all. I am really the only person close with the one who is not invited. And, she is not the only one not invited, there are many others who are not invited, I just happen to be close with her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I would go and not worry about it. It isn't your fault the other person didn't get invited. I wouldn't say anything about the party but if this friend says something about it don't lie. This doesn't need to be a big secret/turn into a big problem. :) Go have fun and don't sweat it.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:17 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I would go and not worry about it. Its not your fault that she wasn't invited. If she asks, be honest with her.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 9:34 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Why would your friend is not invited mind if she is not really friends with the other person. Just be honest with your friend that is not invited. Say I know you aren't close to each other but I am and she asked me to come to the wedding. I just wanted to let you know what was going on. Why keep it a secret? I know my friends have other friends that aren't mine and wouldn't care that they go to a party of one of their other friends.
    froggirl82

Answer by froggirl82 at 9:47 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Don't say anything, it would be like you're shoving it in her face if you said something. Don't make yourself a part of the problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Well even though there are always things that not everyone is invited to, the mere fact that she asked you NOT to tell about it and keep it a secret is silly. Thats highschool crap and very immature. Shes deliberately excluding people and then wants them to find out about it after the fact. I would not be a party to that. (no pun intended). Had she just invited you and left it at that, then no problem, she has a right to invite whom she wants, but this sounds mean.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:19 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I would just go. You have every right to. It is not your fault that your friend wasn't invited so you should'nt feel bad about it. If she asks you if you were invited, I would just tell her yes, and not keep it a secret.
    ihave3turkeys

Answer by ihave3turkeys at 12:06 PM on May. 27, 2009