Pregnancy Depression?

Ok I was doing okay until a month ago. I'm Bipolar manic depressive but even off my meds I was doing pretty good. Then on the 9th I went into preterm labor and I was only 23 weeks. Well they stopped it and I was thrilled even though I got put on bed rest. Now I can see myself slipping. I know my depression's getting bad, and I'm ashamed to say I'm beginning to resent this pregnancy. I'm a single mom of a 2 1/2 year old who doesn't understand why I don't play with him like I used to anymore and my mother talks to me like I'm neglecting him. I have a doctor appointment tomorrow, but I just fel like something is wrong with me. I was thrilled beginning of this pregnancy and now all i want to do is cry. Any advice?

ExenoRainbow

Asked by ExenoRainbow at 8:01 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I've dealt with depression for a while myself. I'm about 8 weeks along in my third pregnancy and I've been fighting terrible bouts of depression. Given your situation I think what you're going through and feeling is understandable. You have a condition that needs help when you aren't pregnant, let alone when you are, and your hormones and everything else are all out of whack. I can understand the feeling of resentment as I have been there too just in the past 8 weeks. Sometimes our situations really can be difficult and it can make it easy to resent what we have to deal with but I think it's understandable. Just because you resent your situation sometimes doesn't mean you don't love or care for the baby.

I don't really have any "advice" for you but I hope what I said at least made you feel a little better.
    MamaChanny

Answer by MamaChanny at 8:50 AM on May. 27, 2009

• talk to your dr! everyone gets a little down when they are pregnant but having a new baby(esspecially with a 2 year old too) is really stressful. try to get yourself into a good place before then. are you worried about the labor? i always get really wierd before big medical things! if you are, read more about labor. it can be really wonderful!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 8:09 AM on May. 27, 2009

• oh yeah... make sure you ae getting lots of omega fatty acids. they are very helpful with depression, esspecially when you are pregnant or nursing!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 8:10 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I'm going to add here that I do not, in any way, resent my baby-to-be Trevor. I love him and I know the difference between resenting the pregnancy and resenting Trevor.
    ExenoRainbow

Answer by ExenoRainbow at 8:12 AM on May. 27, 2009