Help me with my month 4 year old?

I can't take much more of this. She just turned 4 a month ago and every since she turned 4 she thinks it is ok to TALK BACK to me and thinks it is ok to TELL ME WHAT SHE IS GOING TO DO. I told her I don't know who she thinks she is talking too. I have put her in time out, sent her to her room, spanked her, and took things away from her, but she still trys talking back and things. But it isn't just that she has this whinning thing now I can't take anymore. You can't tell her anything cause every single little thing you tell her she cries. You can't even joke with her she gives you this hateful look or she will cry. If it was her at the age of 12 or so I would say it was her about to start her period lol cause that is how bad it is. Help me before I loose my mind what can I do about the whinning, crying and the talking back anf thinking she can tell me what she is going to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My little girl went through that stage too and believe me I know how maddening it can be. What I finally did was stop talking to her. If she comes to me whinning with no good reason, or screaming and throwing fits I would act like I didn't hear anything. (and believe me that was hard) The only thing I would say to her is "when you decide to talk to me in a normal voice, I will talk to you" and nothing else. That really made her mad and she would scream louder, but eventually use a normal tone and say "mommy will you talk to me now"... the fits were worse but didn't last anywhere near as long. after a week or so it only took 30 secs to a minute before she would change her tone. I don't know if this is the best way to handle it but it worked for me when i didn't know what else to do. As for telling you what she is going to do I don't really know... just stay firm.
    Lovejoy0303

Answer by Lovejoy0303 at 6:43 PM on May. 27, 2009

• How much sleep is she getting? It can make a huge difference.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on May. 27, 2009

• does she scream and pitch a fit only to get her way ever time? if you always give in she will think she can run over you. you must tell her that you are the baby and i am the mama and you are going to listen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on May. 27, 2009

• To ANON 8:40 It could be that I put her down for a nap when I put my 16 month old down she will take a nap once in a great while, but half the time she usually doesn't she will just stay up there playing. At bedtime I put her and her sister down at 8pm, but she will keep coming to the steps asking for something down stairs when I yell for her to go back to bed she plays in her room. I fight with her every single night to go to bed. She wont finally fall asleep until anywhere from 9pm until 11 or even midnight. I know half the time I go up to bed at 10 or 10:30 and she is still awake.

and to ANON 9:51 I think she tries to do that to get her way, but I do not give it to her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on May. 27, 2009