Is it bad for my one year old to be sucking on an empty bottle?

My 17 month old daughter has been acting funny lately. She may be lac tos intolerent but I was woundering if her habit of sucking on an empty bottle could be causeing some of her symptoms. She has had some very lose stools, gets upset easier then ever before and more often, and she isnt being as active (like she lays down on the ground and sucks on an empty bottle for long periods of time day after day). We suspect its a milk issue but does sucking on the empty bottle create air in her tummy possibly giving her tummy aches? She dosent take a bottle to drink out of anymore (the bottles were in her playroom as a toy for her babydolls) and she dosent take a binki, I have no problem with taking them away from her just wanted to know your thoughts on this. Thanks :)

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 8:37 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I agree that the bottle should be taken away because of sucking air that can give her gas and bloating which will probably lead to irritability. My first daughter breastfed and I could not get her to take a bottle or binki at all. However, she started sucking her thumb. Her pediatrician should it was a calming mechanism for her. Perhaps your daughter gets a calming effect from sucking the empty bottle. She might be getting sick like some of the other mothers suggested or maybe she might be cutting teeth. Which might explain why she is sucking on something to calm her. If she keeps lying around and having loose stools you might want to take her to the pediatrician just to make sure it isn't something serious with her health. Good luck and hope this helps.

plumdelightful

Answer by plumdelightful at 9:50 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Please don't do this because all they are doing is sucking air and she can become very gassy and irritating. If its that serious give her a pacifier.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 8:42 AM on May. 27, 2009

• You should not let her suck on empty bottles. It will cause a lot of gas and pain. As an adult you should know that when we intake air when we drink something we burp a lot. well with kids they don't get the pleasure of releasing all the gas they intake. so they are left with a gas bubble that is very painful. But it would not cause loose stools. She may be fighting a virus. Stop the empty bottles though.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 8:42 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Just as I had suspected. A virus has def. crossed my mind as well, there are so many possible reasons as to why shes acting funny. Wish it was easier to figure out. Thanks for your input on my issue :)
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:10 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Why are allowing her to suck on her empty bottle anyway? She's sucking air and that is not good at all. When the bottle is empty take it from her. Smarten up it's common sence lady. Sorry for being bitchy but come on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Her belly is probly full of air and if they are her play toys they are not getting washed and that could be irritating her belly also. Take them away and see how she does.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 10:21 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Sucking on an empty bottle is not good for a child. Take it away. Sucking on the air will give her a tummy ache. Give her a pacifier to suck on if she needs to suck on something or she will find out that her thumb works just as good. If you think she is lactose intolerant, stop giving her dairy products and see what happens. I am lactose intolerant and get gassy and have stomach pains when I have too much dairy. Get her lactose free milk, it tastes the same as regular milk although it is a little thicker and more expensive.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:51 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Thanks for your input everyone. As for the one that puts themself up here as anonymous you are a bitch and dont leave a comment such as that and then be too scared to leave your name.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 1:08 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Regardless of her bowel issues sucking on an empty bottle is bad for her intestinally and for her teeth. Don't let her do that anymore. Take her to the doc for a physical so you know it is nothing to worry about or take action if it is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on May. 29, 2009