• In the Spotlight:

Spin off question from "outlawing other religions"........Do you feel that its your right to teach your children what you feel is right? Im not necessarily talking about faith, but it can include that. We all have our own views of the world, whether negative or positive. Do you feel its my right as my childs parent to teach them my view of the world?

I was reading the answers to the outlaw religion question and it sparked this. Ive been thinking about this for sometime now. I feel like there is an attack on parents of all faiths and their sovereignty is being threatened. Its like if you teach your children something that someone else feels isnt right or is potentially harmful, then they feel like they have a right to say so. I think the day is coming where you can be held responsible for just sharing your view of the world with your child. Everyone of us have things we feel are wrong in the world or have something we don't agree with. At what point does it make it wrong to teach your child and who gets to decide? Just something I was thinking about....please be nice to one another.

momofsaee

Asked by momofsaee at 9:07 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It is my responsibility to teach my children what "thus saith the LORD". I will be saddened if they turn away from what they've learned, but while they are under my roof, they will serve Him.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 2:45 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Sure I have no problem with people teaching their kids that they believe in god, or that they will go to heaven when they die.

But I think it's downright silly to teach kids that the world was created 4000 years ago, and that evolution isn't real. - That is like teaching them that a cat is a bat. They will be proved wrong over and over again in life, save them the embarrassment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I am raising my children to believe in what they believe in, not what people are teaching them. Everyone has different views on life. Who is to say who is right and who is wrong. with religion, I am not religious, I am agnostic. But my children can believe in what ever they want to believe in. I do not teach my children there is no god or that there is a god.. My son is going to start pre school at a church and they will teach him all about the bible. FINE WITH ME. If he chooses later to believe or not then that is his choice. as long as my son and daughter dont grow up to become criminals then what ever they choose to do and believe in life is their choice as long as they are happy, then so am I.

The only qualities I am teaching my kids is to be honest, respectful, and nonjudgmental. Every one judges other people on some level, but I do not believe in judging other people for lifestyle choices.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:19 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Teach your kids your views. That is part of your job as mommy. I think the only time someone else should step in is when a person is teaching a child that violence and hate against others is ok. I know there are things in this world that I don't like. But they are ideas and practices. Not the people that have the beliefs or do the practices.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:32 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Thank you 2wndfl btrflys....I agree with you about not judging anothers lifestyle choices. I do feel that children will believe what they are exposed to. I dont feel that its a "be what it will be" situation. They do create and form their judgments about the world based on what we either teach them or what they are exposed to either by us or by others we allow. Actually, I have found that kids will more likely follow what we DO in our own home rather than what they are taught by words either by us or someone else. Thats why its important that we as parents set the example whether it be in faith, honesty, character, integrity, ect. I don't necessarily believe that you need faith to possess those qualities but you need to possess them in order to teach them.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:34 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I think the only time someone else should step in is when a person is teaching a child that violence and hate against others is ok
    __________
    Okay, define this. Meaning if I tell my children that (just an example) homosexuality isnt okay but we are to be compassionate to one another and love everyone. We dont have to agree with their choice of lifestyle but we must respect them as people and not speak against them. Is that teaching them hate, or just a view of the world? I am not saying I teach my children this, I am just using it as an example because its such a hot topic around here. I am not going to even bring up what I personally believe because its not relevant, I just wanted to know where you ladies feel the line should be drawn or should it be drawn at all?
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:39 AM on May. 27, 2009

• When it comes to teaching religion to our gs it's simple, no one person's beliefs are the same as his, mine or his gp's are and that it's ok to be different in whatever you believe in and that they (as he) are not wrong in believing this way or that way.

As for the world around us he reads his online news stories and if there is a question we answer it. We are not going to lie to him and say that the world is perfect, bc by far is it. Our neighbor just deployed to Afganstain (sp) and left behind a wife, a 6 yr old and and 3 yr old and a lot of questions that needed answering.
    I don't think it is up to anyone but the parents to be the ones teaching their children what they feel they need to teach them. The only thing that bothers me is when parents teach their children to hate anyone that may be different from them in beliefs and race.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:40 AM on May. 27, 2009

• We have always allowed the kids to join in conversations or just listen. We discuss so many things. they ask we answer to the best of our abilities. If we don't know we look it up. There have been many time the kids put a spin on something that we haven't thought of. they make us think. Because of these Debates that happen here. The older kids in school have the facts and are able to discuss intelligently. When they put the facts out there that are indisputable other's can get upset then they through out the "your just stupid" remark. Usually the kids laugh and say prove me wrong. Even the teachers that don't really agree with our kids love having them in their classes because conversation is happening. Minds can change even our own. So it's not really about teaching them what we believe it's conversations so they can make up their own minds.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 9:43 AM on May. 27, 2009

• BTW it's usually the little ones with the out of the box observations that get us thinking.
    oldermomof5

• That is what I meant, momofsafee. I mean if someone is teaching their child that a lifestyle is wrong and that we should KILL them all or hurt them all, that is where the line should be drawn. I'm not saying you shouldn't tell your kids you disagree with the way someone lives. That is fine. It's when people teach their children that violence for any reason is ok when I have a problem.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:44 AM on May. 27, 2009