Rice in formula...

My son drinks a 6 oz bottle every 2 hours. Hes 9 weeks old. Is it ok to put a teaspoon on rice in the formula to fill him up some?

jessduncan77

Asked by jessduncan77 at 9:25 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, it's a choking hazzard. Babies have died this way.

Check out this link for more info - http://baby.families.com/blog/5-reasons-not-to-put-cereal-in-your-babys-bottle

Nothing other than milk until 6 months - not only is it not needed, but it's dangerous to their health and digestive system.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:28 AM on May. 27, 2009

• It is not a good idea. My kids pediatrician and nutritionist both told me that putting cereal in their bottles can cause intestinal troubles and ear infections(don't know why ear infections) but the doctor had paperwork to prove the connection between the two. You may need to switch his formula to something that would be more filling. If you are breastfeeding then you may need to speak to your pediatrician to see if you need to switch to formula so your little one can fill up and go longer than two hours before needing to eat again.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:29 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I have put ceral in the bottle thats how i started my DD on ceral in the bottle when she was 2 months old. I only did it at night (supper bottle) Feed him 8 oz bottles Maybe that will hold him off longer.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:29 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Raemommy, you are giving out dangerous advise. Please stop.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on May. 27, 2009

• My son was diagnosed with colic as well as severe gerd (acid reflux) . After exhausting all resources, at 3 months we started adding rice cereal to his formula. There was quite a difference, the rice cereal not only helped with the painful spitting up but we also noticed how well he slept. His tummy was full for hours and I believe the first night he slept for almost 6 hours straight. My advice is to do your research, talk to your doctor, talk to other moms then make your decision. Good luck!
    myakita3

Answer by myakita3 at 9:35 AM on May. 27, 2009

• i gave my daugher cereal in her bottle at about 3 months so she would sleep better and she did. i know people who put there babys on cereal almost from birth (the doctor told them to) and nothin happened just dont prop the bottle make sure you stay with him and he'll be fine. i am sorry but if someones kid really chocked on a cereal bottle its the perants fault for not watchin them close enought. talk to your doc and see what he/she says and go from there.
    mommy033

Answer by mommy033 at 9:47 AM on May. 27, 2009

• My twins were given rice at about 6 weeks old in the NICU because both had severe acid reflux. Every baby is different so I would ask your pediatrician if it is alright for your son now. I also agree with mommy033, if a child chokes on their food it's the parents fault. You should never leave a baby alone while they are eating and having to feed 2 babies at once I have never propped a bottle up for either one of them.
    TwinsMommy08

Answer by TwinsMommy08 at 10:41 AM on May. 27, 2009

• At 2 weeks my daughter had projectile vomit and when i called the pediatrician she switched her formula to soy and told me to put a teaspoon of rice cereal in her bottle for every oz of formula... Shes now 4 weeks and is doing so much better... the same dr put my 5 year old brother on rice cereal at 6 weeks bc she said if we didnt he'd "eat us out of house and home in formula" lol he slept longer and was more content.
    rikkaboo8407

Answer by rikkaboo8407 at 8:00 PM on May. 27, 2009