What is a good theme for a new room for my son who will be about 2 when I move his room?

My son is only 14 months old but I would like to start buying things now so I don't have to spend a big chunk of money on stuff when I do it. Any ideas for a theme for a 2 year old? I mean right now its not like he loves anything yet. He loves his CARS car but thats about it

amy31308

Asked by amy31308 at 9:33 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Unless you want to constantly be redoing rooms all the time, I would just pick a neutral color for the walls and then go with a theme (i.e. sports, cars, etc.) I would stay away from themes that feature cartoon characters, etc. because when your child stops liking them, then you are stuck with an entire room full of stuff!!

I would go with a neutral palette and then add fun accessories that are easily and affordably changed as he grows. We went with an antique sports theme when my son was 3 and other than adding skateboards now that he is 9, we haven't had to change much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on May. 27, 2009

• My son's room is decorated in Cars, he loves the movie! His room has been decorated that way since he was about 16-17 months old, he's 2 1/2 now!!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 9:38 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I like the sports or animals 4 a boy. I have all girls, but when I worked @ lowes I always saw the cutest boys stuff!
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 9:40 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I always wanted to do my sons room in Cars. He is three and he loves CARS too. I have a CARS toddler bed on layaway now. He is in a reg. white toddler bed now but my daughter is almost starting to crawl out of her crib so now she will need a toddler bed. she is getting my sons. I am thinking of painting his room light blue, buying the applique stickers that won't pull off wallpaper or paint of CARS.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:40 AM on May. 27, 2009

• When we moved our boys to their rooms (they each have their own), I selected themes that would "grow" with them...so we have a vintage sports themed room and a vintage airplanes themed room. The sports room is painted red, I have vintage sports bedding and draperies, a vintage sports border paper, sports ball wall hooks, and lots of old sports memorabilia--posters, pennants, autographed things--mostly from my husband's collection. The airplane room is painted navy blue, and I have airplane bedding and draperies, biplane border paper, and I hung biplane models from the ceiling, added airplane tiebacks, a lamp, framed prints, airplane wall hooks, etc.

You could ALSO do something like this, by painting the walls a boyish or neutral color, and just change the border paper and accessories as he gets older or gets in to other things.

Check out The Company Kids website for cool ideas!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:47 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I have my little boys room done in cars. Not the Disney theme though. We have the Little Tikes twin size race car beds and I made curtains out of checkered flag material. I am hoping to put hot wheel type of cars on the shelves in their room. It looks cute but not to babyish to grow with the boys as they get older.

mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 11:24 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Loved all the previous suggestions! As long as the theme is done w/ growth in mind and you keep it neutral youll be fine. I agree that buying Character bedding and decorations can be costly and they are usually not well made, kind of scratchy too! He loves cars so go with it! I looked and bought on Craigslist under names like Pottery Barn.
    Got great items cheaper and better quality for the long run! HAVE FUN WITH IT!
    bumblemomof3

Answer by bumblemomof3 at 1:07 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I decorated my 2 year old son's room in CARS (the movie theme). We had to keep the walls white cuz I rent, but you could do other colors. We got a Toodler Bed, Table w/ 2 chairs CARS set from Toys r' US. I think it was a little for than $100, so it was a great buy. Then Walmart has CARS bedding set; pillow case, top n' bottom sheet, and comforter. Again another great buy. And both stores have more selections to go with the room, along with wall hangings that can come down when he gets a little older!!!
    ShiningStar24

Answer by ShiningStar24 at 9:33 AM on Jun. 1, 2009