My son has a fever...HELP

My 3 1/2 year old son has been running a fever since Saturday of 101 to 103 degrees. His nose is also very plugged up and nothing will break lose when I have him blow it. I took him to the doctor yesterday and she told me it was just allergies. His lymph nodes are swollen and his ears are a little red. I have been giving him tylenol for his fever and it helps sometimes. The doc told me to keep giving him the tylenol and prescribed him Claritan and said that if it doesn't get better in a couple of days to take him back and she would give him antibiotics but I still think something else is going on with him. Should I take him to a different doctor or wait like she said? Any advice would be great. Thank You!!!

jmlock5683

Asked by jmlock5683 at 9:39 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

• i'd go to a different doctor, with allergies you shouldn't have a fever
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:40 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I would just wait.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:43 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I would take him to a different doctor it sounds like you are dealing with an ear infection and possible strep throat. with allergies, his lymph nodes will not be swollen or run a fever. He needs to be put an antibiotic and a decongestant.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:43 AM on May. 27, 2009

• allergies can lead to an URI. Fever and swollen glands are a sign of an infection. With a fever higher than 101, alternate APAP with Motrin. In my opinion, claritin doesn't work. Zyrtec would have been better.

Dani32

Answer by Dani32 at 9:44 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I would take him to the hospital or a rapid response. Our daughter had the exact same thing and it turned out to be RSV with a double inner ear infection in both ears along with a horrible sinus infection. They gave her meds and then a nebulizer and an inhaler to use for 3 weeks until it finally cleared up. Or contact another doctor and make them do a rsv screening and check him for phenomena
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:44 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Go to a difernet doctor.He should have given you a suppository.My daughter who is 1 and a half has high fevers.We give her tylenol every 4 hours and alternate and give her motrin the next four hours,maybe you are not giving him the right dosage.The dosage goes by weight not by age.Ask the new doctor to give him a suppository and ask for a dosage sheet.At the hospitals they have it too.Try giving your son a bath in lukewarm water .Allergies you could give the baby clartin but that is only over the counter.
    monica-alvarez

Answer by monica-alvarez at 9:50 AM on May. 27, 2009

• If he still has a fever it has been five days and I would be worried if it was my child. I think the red ears could be from the fever. If he is congested but not running a fever you could sit with him in the bathroom and run a hot shower and let him breathe in the steam. This helps with my child if the congestion isn't so bad. She also has a nebulizer that I use when she is really congested. My daughter gets congested really easy and cannot release the mucus and such easily so it will set up in her chest. It will sometimes turn into an infection with a fever. Talk to your doctor about a nebulizer. It has worked wonders with my daughter. If she starts to get really congested I will put her on it and it usually breaks up the congestion. If congestion is a reoccurring problem talk to your child's pediatrician about nebulizers. My daughter doesn't have to be on Claritin everyday which is a relief. Good Luck!

plumdelightful

Answer by plumdelightful at 10:01 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I would take him to the ER considering the doctor he has now doesn't seem to be concerned, or try another doctor. I'm sure allergies wouldn't cause a fever.
    Soon2Be8489

Answer by Soon2Be8489 at 10:06 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I would just keep an eye on it... most likely it's just a virus. You don't want you child to be put on antibiotics for every sniffle or your child won't respond to them after awhile when he really needs them... it really is better to wait and see. Besides a lot of antibiotics cause upset tummies and diarrhea... things you don't want to deal with on top of a fever and cold symptoms if they aren't going to do you any good. (you always have to complete the antibiotics once they are started even if after you think it's a virus... it's an all or nothing deal)

So just do as your doc suggested and if in a few days he's still sick bring him back in.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:24 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I would keep giving him cool drinks and keep a bucket of cool water constantly trying to cool him until the temperature breaks. Take your child to the emergency room if his tempatures gets too high he can catch a seizure
    Myni

Answer by Myni at 10:26 AM on May. 27, 2009