early mornings

ds has started waking up EARLY like 5:30-6 no matter what time I put him to bed, then he'll be up and fussy for about an hour then go back to sleep. any ideas on how to get him to sleep later?

gypsymama532

Asked by gypsymama532 at 9:51 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old? Both of my daughters went through this. They both started getting up early early when they stopped waking up to nurse at night. We just rode it out and eventually it got better (my first is almost 2 and she goes through phases where she wakes up every day at 7:30, other phases where it's 6:30...). You can try: keeping the room very dark, letting him try to put himself back to sleep, using a fan for white noise so he doesn't hear the birds or morning traffic... I haven't found this stuff to make a huge difference, but maybe a little. But really there's very little you can do -- so I'd advise putting him down early (to maximize his hours asleep, as well as your hours awake without him! and going to bed earlier yourself). I was complaining once to a friend when my daughter was programmed for 6:30, and she said, 6:30, puh-lease! My son woke up at 4:56 am for 8 months straight!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:09 AM on May. 27, 2009