I am 27 and expecting our second child in August......

At our ultrasound they said that they could see the babys skin is a little thicker on her neck than it should be. We have already had the triple screening test and our results were really low chance anything was wrong with the baby. We have decided not to to the amnio because of the risk to the baby. The genetic counseler said our risk of having a baby with Downs is still really low despite the untrasound results but it was still scary to hear. Has anyone else been through this???

robyncorrine

Asked by robyncorrine at 9:51 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would not worry yourself too much over this right now. Just wait until the baby is born and see for yourself. I have never heard of the skin being too thick in certain areas. I didn't even know they could see the skin on ultrasounds LOL. anyway, maybe they made a mistake. I hope everything turns out okay. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:53 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I second what my friend above said. It could be a mistake, most likely it is. Even if it is not, having a child with special needs is not a tragedy.  It does make life more complex but it also opens your world up to a whole group of amazing people and teaches you more about love and acceptance than anything you can ever experience.

My girls have developmental delays.  Because of them I have learned to appreciate every step of development, every achievement.  I am a better mom to my older child who is "normal". 

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:14 AM on May. 27, 2009

• With my first I was 19 and sent to a specialist over 8 hours away because they thought my son was going to have a brain and heart defect. He was perfectly healthy. The specailist said everything looked fine except he was developing a little slower than normal. He was born 4 weeks early and perfectly healthy. He is now 2 and is pretty advanced for his age. I would try not to worry too much. Good luck mama!
    1JN2BC

Answer by 1JN2BC at 10:26 PM on Dec. 6, 2009