how was your transition from sahm to career woman?

ive been a stay at home mom because i felt strongly as a young child, she needed someone here...she is about to start preschool and i will be going back to college and working PT....once my degree is done i will be working fulltime and no longer a sahm....no longer doing all of the housework or home duties......and im sooo excited, but ima lso a little scared how this will change the dynamic of my family since right now he is used to a sahm that takes care of him, takes care of the house and takes care of everything really...house, car..lawn...etc etc. the only thing he does at home is the dishes on saturday morning. how did you transition to this? he is very supportive of this btw...he is happy that im pursuing a strong career and very encouraging.

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 9:59 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Relationships

• Rough...I was suddenly divorced with five kids to raise on my own. No child support and no working skills. I hope you have an easier time.
    momtoeight

Answer by momtoeight at 10:41 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I too waited until the kids started school then went back. The timing was right and we all made the transitions (them school, me work) together. Just make back up plans for days they get sick. I had to keep taking off work for that.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:21 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I've been wondering about this myself. my son is 13 m/o, so we have a while, but when he hits school age is when i'll be looking for a PT job. but I'm confused about finding the right type of job that will fit my sons school schedule. I mean will I have no choice but to work retail? and if my son was really sick, i couldnt just leave work and stay home till he's better, i'd probably lose my job. and I always think about if something ever happened to SO (I mean death or if he left me) I'd have NOTHING. next to nothing in savings, we'd lose your house.,..but I try not to think about these things and live each day to the fullest....i'm obviously thinking about that now as i'm typing lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:58 AM on May. 27, 2009

• well my husband is mlitary and retiring from it in 10 yrs.....so if by chance he did leave us early (death) i wouldnt be freaking out financially....we have good life insurance etc. im not doing it for that purpose.
    im doing it for the purpose of well....i cant be a sahm my entire life....and honestly when the kids arein school, i see no reason to do that at all...
    but my husband has gotten a lil spoiled and he doesnt eem to realize when im working and im college again....their is not going to be a homecooked meal made by me every night...im not going to wait on them as much as i do now with the home, he will have to help out and he says he's fine with that....but i know how he is, he rather have a dirty house then clean lol. so i know its going to take a bit of change on his part. ehh we'll get thru it im sure. weve gotten thru worse
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 12:59 PM on May. 27, 2009