my son will use the bath room some times

I can't get my three year old to use the potty except for maybe two times a day. He knows how to but he just wont do it. I tried putting him in underwear. I even made a sticker board for when he is good and goes potty and I give him toys when he gets so many stickers.

jessie725

Asked by jessie725 at 10:12 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• WHAT HE IS DOING IS GOOD, KEEP PRAISING HIM. MY SON IS 3.5 AND JUST DECIDED 2 DAYS AGO THAT GOING IN THE POTTY IS FUN. KEEP YOUR HEAD UP AND DO NOT PUSH, THAT CAN CAUSE OTHER ISSUES(BED WETTING FOR A LONG TIME). ALL KIDS GO AT THEIR OWN PACE AND WHEN HE IS READY TO TAKE IT ON 100% YOU WILL KNOW, SO JUST BE PATIENT AND HOLD ON FOR THE RIDE. A MEDICAL FACT THAT MOST DO NOT KNOW: GIRLS DEVELOPE BLADDER SENSATIONS WELL BEFORE BOYS AND ARE EASIER TO TRAIN, BOYS TAKE LONGER TO TRAIN BECAUSE THE SENSATIONS ARE NOT FELT AS EARLY. HE IS DOING GREAT IF HE IS TRYING, THAT IS STEP ONE.
    wolverine05

Answer by wolverine05 at 11:49 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Keep him in underwear. Do not go back to diapers whatever you do. He'll get it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:51 PM on May. 27, 2009

• This worked with my step son (4 years old and was still in diapers, thanks to my mil who thought it was perfectly normal and encouraged this by making changing time a treat). I moved his diapers, wipes, and a trash can to the lower shelf in the bathroom. I showed him where they were and told him that he would be responsible for changing his diapers, cleaning himself up, and throwing them away...We didn't even want to KNOW when he needed to be changed, it was all up to him. I also told him when he thought he was ready for regular underwear to let me know and I'd be happy to give them to him. Not 48 hours later, he asked for the underwear...done and done! (my mil still tries to put the poor kid in diapers when he visits and he is six...we don't visit often)
    Allison_17

Answer by Allison_17 at 5:19 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Almost forgot...I bought him a beta fish named freddy the potty fish and put him on the back of the toilet with a letter of congratulations. He appeared in the middle of the night on the night he asked for the underwear. There were often letters of encouragement and consolation when there were the occasional slip ups.
    Allison_17

Answer by Allison_17 at 5:23 PM on May. 27, 2009