If your child was a "picky eater" as a 1-2 yr old, are they still that way at 3-4?

Sometimes I think only chicken, oatmeal, salisbury steak, mashed potatoes & broccoli rice caserole will forever be the only thing our 2 y/o will eat. He's an only child as of yet & seems to eat better around other toddlers. He does eat mostly every kind of fruit and is gaining weight,(though not at all overweight) so I'm hoping that it will change as he matures. I guess we can only hope, LOL! Thanks for your input.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't know. I have a 2 1/2 year old picky eater and she turned picky right after her 1st birthday. She won't eat meat except for eggs and ham. She won't eat veggies at all. And she barely eats fruit.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 10:19 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Your's eats rice?? lolol lucky you, ours are 3 & 4, the little one is game for trying anything. The older one? For a very long time if you put something new on his plate, he'd look at it...then give you a look like he thought you were trying to poison him. lol
    He's getting better, sort of. He doesn't like pickles or olives...so if we get pizza and there are olives..I pick them off. Once he looked up and said thank you, which was a surprise. If we do have something new, I'll make sure there is something I know they will eat. Give them a tiny bit to see if they like the new stuff, if they try it and don't like it? They are allowed to spit it out, although I know a lot of moms would disagree with me. The way I look at it...I hate canned green beans...why should I force myself to eat something I hate? Why should I make them do the same? A few weeks ago we had roasted asparagus, he tried a tiny bite, discovered he --
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 10:47 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Oh, get used to it, my four year old thinks only macaroni and cheese is what he needs to eat, the funny thing is around other kids he will eat really well! I make an easy mac almost everynight and then serve our regular dinner, he eats almost everything now, I think it is normal for almost every kid to do this. The thing is he has to try at least everything and then he can have some fruit. Good luck!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:49 AM on May. 27, 2009

• really liked it. Not sure who was more surprised...him or us. I do have to point out these are my stepsons. When my DD was little, she's now 20 and I was trying to introduce her to something new. I'd put the serving dish between us and tell her...this is Mamas "whatever"...not for little girls. Then I'd ignore seeing her sticking her hand in to taste some...or dish her self some. lol She was eating brussels sprouts at 4, much to her fathers dismay. lmao
    Something we try to do is to watch food network and ask the boys if something looks good, then get the recipe and let them help pick out the stuff at the store. Last night they saw Alton Brown making buffalo wings...they want to have some tonight.
    Good luck, but prepare yourself..teenagers are even pickier. lol
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 10:52 AM on May. 27, 2009

• when my son was 2-4, he would only eat cereal, and mac and cheese, no matter how much we tried, and put other food, he would not eat it, this lasted until he, was 5 yrs old, he is 17 now, and is still a picky eater, but has learned to try new foods, i asked his doctor back then, and he said don't worry, so long as he is eating, also gave him vitamins everyday, but for a long time it was
    just cereal, i never forced my kids to eat anything, that would be like forcing me to eat, stuff i don't like, they did that to me when i was young, goodluck don't force the issue, so long as he is eating something?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on May. 27, 2009

• My son hated food as a 2 year old. He got so little that he was in the 3rd percentile for his weight! Its actually worse as a 3 year old! Its so frustrating at times.
    wifeymccann

Answer by wifeymccann at 12:53 PM on May. 27, 2009

• My son was extremely picky until he was 7. He only ate chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, scrambled eggs, some veggies and a few more things. Now at 14 he will try everything. There is nothing you can do, they will outgrow it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:50 PM on May. 27, 2009