Advice please.....

Im so embarrassed to ask this question but I need help. my son is 11 years old and he doesn't seem sure about riding a bike, Im not sure what the problem is, if he's not sure how to stop or a little scared of balancing on the bike. It's not that he doesn't want to because he does. He wont tell me why , he's too embarrassed to.AIs there anytrhing he can do? or I ca.n help him with. He does fine as long as I or some one holds onto the bike. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• The best way to do it is on the grass,going downhil, and have him hold his feet off the pedals so he can learn to balance. Once he gets the hang of balancing it should help him gain confidence. And keep rooting him on, that will make him feel better.. GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:30 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Have him ride in the grass, by himself. You can be there encouraging him but do not hold onto the bike. That is how my son learned when he was 6 or 7.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:17 AM on May. 27, 2009

• My neighbor taught me. I never had a bike till like 8 and then it had training wheels. I didn't want to look stupid so I had them take it off and do this push and move around the neighborhood. It was patheic but back then all kids were on bikes and not in the house.

So one day she stopped and said here you ride and I will hold on. She did it a few times and then second or third time let go and I was about 10 houses down before I realized she let go and was down at here house. I was doing it on my own. After that I was able to do it.

Let him know its not a big deal and just start training him the way you do when they are younger.
    Anonymous

• Oh and I was 10 when I finally learned to ride and stopped doing the push & walk around the neighborhood.
    Anonymous

• He'll learn when he's ready....my 7 yr old just learned how to tie his shoes this year. And it only took 5 minutes. So, don't be embarrassed.
    rose123

Answer by rose123 at 3:40 PM on May. 31, 2009