Has your child ever had roseola?

My child has been sick since friday. I took her in Friday afternoon, suspecting an ear ache because she kept pulling at her ear, and had a fever. Got to doctor, temp was better because i had given tylenol, but they said nothing was wrong with her ear. Just a little was. Saturday had extremely high fever so kept giving tylenol becuase they said nothing was wrong and chalked it up to teething. Sunday still fever and started vomiting. So went to an emegency clinic. They said she had an ear ache and gave amoxocillin. By Monday morning. fever had went away but dd had a bad rash all over her body. Figured it was allergic reaction to medicine. Went back to reg doctor yesterday said not a reaction. but roseola which is a rash caused by the high fever after coming in contact with a form of the herpes virus. Pedi said she still didn't think ear infection but gave shot to be safe. i don't know where she came in contact with the virus.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Roseolla is a very common virus in kids. Both of my kids have had it. I don't really remember the rash really bugging them. It just looks bad. My ds had it the worst. It will spread before it gets better and heat can make it stand out more. Hang in there, the worst is over. Good luck!
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 11:08 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Yes! Wow, it was awful. But for my daughter, the worst was over once the rash appeared. She had a high fever for several days straight, was super-clingy and cranky (downright inconsolable), and then the rash finally came and lasted a few days. I don't think it's supposed to itch or anything. Hang in there... you're on the home stretch.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:21 AM on May. 27, 2009

• And yes, it's a very common toddler virus... she could have gotten it sitting in the grocery cart or at the library or just about anywhere. Don't let the "herpes" part scare you!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:22 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Yep, my first has roseola, and so did my niece. Neither my sister or I ever knew how they got it (not at the same time mind you, 15 years apart). It is pretty common, and rarely serious.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:55 PM on May. 27, 2009