Infants with stuffy noses...

Does anyone have any ways besides the suction ball to clear out a 7 week olds nose. She is so stuffy and her right eye is so full of mucus. It comes and goes so I am assuming it is allergies. I have an appointment in a few days but in the mean time she is suffering with this. Does anyone know if she can have eye drops or a more effective way to clear her nose. Thank you...

meagen22

Asked by meagen22 at 10:48 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• awww, the poor little baby. I have a 3 month old..and she had the same problem when we brought her home. I bought that stuff called "little noses"...its like a saline that you squirt up her nose and it come with a pretty good suction ball. It worked. When I took her to the doctor,I asked about the mucous in her eye, he said she had a clogged tear duct and it would clear up..and it did! I thought she had a bad cold or allergies, too...but thats not what it was at all.She's better now, by the way.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:21 PM on May. 27, 2009

• meg im going to give it to ya straight, they dont want even clothes touching a baby that small.. hehe BUT take this or leave it.. I bought everything you could think of in the baby section and used it as i pleased.. there are so many warnings out there, ppl say you cant do anything, but i did it all and my kids are fine..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 10:54 AM on May. 27, 2009

• lol I know believe me...I am not that way if my children are suffering I hate to see it when there are things that can help them through. If I am sick I take something!! So what do you think would work for her little nose? Any suggestions that have worked for you children?
    meagen22

Answer by meagen22 at 10:59 AM on May. 27, 2009

• babies dont have allergies until 2, I just asked doc this. basically there is not much to do but you can use saline nose drops put one to two drops in each side and then suction it out. it helps break up and get out the boogers deeper in there.I thought my 6 week old had a cold and doc said they occassionally get stuffy noses, or actually it sounds like stuffy noses, because think about it, all they eat is milk. the cant clear their throats, cough stuff up, blow it out so it just stays there. I would see what doc says. I hate the nose syringe too, my baby fraks and punches me lol.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:25 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Babies dont have allergies untill after the age of two. As for the nose, use a humiditfier. And for the eye it could be a blocked tear duct, message your finger in the corner of her eye a few times every hour. But seriously I would just call the Dr and get her in today to be sure. If she is only 7 weeks it could be more serious.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 11:51 AM on May. 27, 2009

• My kid's pediatrition showed me how to unplug a baby or toddlers nose. He just took a medicine dropper and a cup of water with a little bit of salt in it. Lay the baby down and squirt one or two drops of salt water up her nostrols. This is the same thing as those saline drops, but costs nothing. It loosens up all that stuff in their nose. Also, 2 of my kid's have had blocked tear ducts. They would get crusty yellow puss in the eyes. I would take a cotton ball with a little bit of water and Baby Magic shampoo and wipe that stuff off, to try to keep it clean. My pediatrition never gave us eye drops, he said it would eventually clear up, and it did, it took awhile though.
    ihave3turkeys

Answer by ihave3turkeys at 11:57 AM on May. 27, 2009

• It's normal for babies to have some stuffiness and all but they CAN and some DO have allergies LONG before age 2. 2 of my 5 did and I know other children with SEVERE allergies that started LONG before age 2. Typically, a normal allergy level doesn't appear until after age 2 but in severe cases it can and does happen. My 3 y/o son has had allergies since around 4 months old - confirmed by multiple doctors.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 12:11 PM on May. 27, 2009

• My eight month old has allergies - diagnosed by our pediatrician. We use the saline drops and suction her nose before every feeding. Our doctor did advise us to use some eye drops for itchy eyes, but I wouldn't use them unless your doctor specifically tells you to. We also use a cool mist humidifier with purified water. You just have to be sure to clean it every day so it doesn't have mold or bacteria. We also put a rolled up blanket under one end of her mattress to keep her head elevated while she sleeps.

lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 1:18 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Dr. Greene: The theory that babies have to be at least 2 years old to get allergies is still very common. Because the presence of allergies represents an overactive immune system, and because babies' immune systems don't reach normal functioning until age 2, it was thought that they couldn't get allergies before then. Now we know that the immune system doesn't develop evenly and that allergies can indeed be present in very young babies.
    bcharmed

Answer by bcharmed at 1:35 PM on May. 27, 2009

• if you are breastfeeding you can put some breastmilk in her eye and that should clear it up, no joke. stuffy nose - try running some hot bathwater and just sit in there with her. i wouldnt give any medicine to a baby that young.. gl!
    SunshineSmiles

Answer by SunshineSmiles at 2:23 PM on May. 27, 2009