My toddler is having a hard time with bowel movements...

My little boy is two and a half and he has a fairly good diet. He drinks lots of liquids(lots) but seems to have a hard time pushing out his poop. He complains that it hurts and is sore after. This is also interfering with his potty training because he is afraid to go poop because it hurts. Does anyone also have this problem or know any other ways to help him loosen up his stools. I already give him plenty of liquids and limit his sugars. Thank you...

meagen22

Asked by meagen22 at 10:56 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Probiotics! They are the good bacteria that are found in yogurt, but you can get them in capsule or powder forms. They help the digestive system break down foods so it definitely helps with going #2. Also, I (and my 28 month old) have been drinking Good Bellies instead of taking a pill or powder of probiotics, and it's been woking well. It's a juice drink, but has good stuff in it and lots of probiotics. You should be able to find it next to the regular yogurt drinks.
    DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 11:26 AM on May. 27, 2009

• well in the end you really should talk it over with his doctor. Maybe he just needs a stool softener. I work on a pediatric floor of a hospital. We get alot of kids in for "clean outs" . Which gets out all the poop. He may need that but you did say he is pooping right? An x-ray can be done to see if he is backed up with stool. There are other tests out there to find the problem. Just talk to his doctor ask what can be done to help? You never know with kids. it could be alot of things ranging from nothing to worry about to very serious. I wouldn't want to scare you. Just get him checked out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on May. 27, 2009

• My baby is the same way. I give her pear juice by Gerber. It works every time. The stool softner made her tummy upset.
    Se-Se

Answer by Se-Se at 11:23 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Does he eat a lot of foods that have a reputation for stopping you up? My kids always want to eat cheese like there's no tomorrow but we sure can't let them. I'd make sure he was drinking a good serving of juice every day to help and talk to your doctor. I bet he is scared to go potty and that sure can mess that potty training time up!

Good luck, mom! :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 11:59 AM on May. 27, 2009

• My daughter had a hard time with poops too. I started to feed her raisins and it worked great!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 1:28 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Ask you DR about Miralax. If you have tried everything else & nothing works. It is a gentle stool softner. You will need to ask your DR about dosing, every child is different. My littlest was so constipated that there was blood in her stool. After a few days of Miralax everything was moving nice & easy. Good luck!!
    juliemoose

Answer by juliemoose at 2:18 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Ask doctor for sure. But what I do for my son is make him a drink..50% prune juice,50% apple juice. I do it like that because he thinks plain prune juice is nasty,lol. But it works like a charm.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:05 PM on May. 27, 2009