How do I potty train my almost 3 year old boy?

My Boy will be 3years old in 5 months, He showed signs of being ready atayear old, 15 months.I was confused what to do? I ask family members give me all different answers,sit him down,stand him up, took a while to get him on potty, I did on and off, alot of the time when i thought he ready, he did his poo or pee in diaper. a couple months ago He took off his own diaper, sat down on potty, I was happy even though he did not do anything, thought i had it down,but things went on i missed a coupl weeks and now he says no. I need help with this. thank you

blondyme01

Asked by blondyme01 at 10:56 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I started with sitting my son down. (He started at about 2 1/2 and is pretty much trained now at age 3) Once he got the hang of it, he decided to stand up.
    Start by taking him every hour, he will get the hang of it. I would recommend not using pullups. I tried using them, but eventually they realize that they are just like diapers and pee in them. I switched to just underwear when he would go most of the time on the potty and only used pullups when we had to go out somewhere. He still wears a diaper at night.
    Can he tell you he has to go? Does he tell you when he is wet?
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 11:09 AM on May. 27, 2009

• When I decided it was time to stop messing around with my son and get it done, I would take him to the potty every 10 minutes. When he was dry after every 10 minutes, I changed it to 15 - then longer and longer. He was fully trained in about 3 weeks. One big thing we did NOT do is he never wore another diaper when we started and we did NOT use pull ups. I did get some of the plastic pants that go over the underwear like they put over cloth diapers and he sure didn't like being wet INSIDE one of those - I didn't use them at home, just when we went somewhere. It took about 3 weeks to be done day and night both.

Good luck - there were a couple of days in there I thought I was going to SCREAM! LOL

Also - he started going pee sitting down - it took a few months longer for him to master the skill of standing up - then it was on.

You can do it, mom! :) Good luck to you both!
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 11:56 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I think all kids are different...so I wouldn't worry. My son is 9 years old now but when he was about 18 months,I put out a potty in the bathroom,showed it to him, let him play with it. I never pushed the issue. I then bought a potty video and a potty book, he loved the video. He watched it like everyday,lol..dancing to the "potty song".Then he just started going on the potty.I always made a big deal about him going. Never punishing him if he didn't. I bought underpants and pullups...pullups for outings. I guess I got lucky, he was an easy one. It worked for me. But I am babysitting an almost 3 year old boy now,and he's still not potty trained. I brought out the old trusty potty video, made him a potty chart...it's been 2 weeks...last day he was here..he had a "perfect" potty day! Try the video! I think they even make a matching doll for it now,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:00 PM on May. 27, 2009