Returned check

Having some major money problems right now. Daughter has been terribly sick and does not have insurance so paying for everything out of pocket. I paid out over $300.00 in the last week alone. I paid cash for all her visits but now there isn't going to be enough to cover certain checks that are out on my checking account because i have nothing left to deposit. So i am pretty sure they will be returned because they will clear before i get my next check. I know one place will not rerun them and will send a letter for you to take care of it. But i am not sure about the other two. One was to target. Does anyone know what target does if a check is returned? If the check was off of a joint account with someone, do they hold both parties responsible or just the one who wrote the check and whose drivers license they have? I am so worried right now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• chances are that your bank is going to charge you lots of money in overdraft fees, returned check fees, etc. my first call would be to the bank, then to everyone who has an outstanding check.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:13 AM on May. 27, 2009

• If it's a joint account, you are both responsible I would think. Your bank will probably just charge you an over draft fee.
    ihave3turkeys

Answer by ihave3turkeys at 11:51 AM on May. 27, 2009

• If the other person has an account at the same bank BY LAW the bank can take funds from that other account so if that person has another account you should explain to them what's going on. You will be charged bank fees as well as usually a returned check fee from a store. Depending on your state stores can charge anywhere from $5 to $25 per returned check. GOOD LUCK!!!
    Anonymous

• Call the bank, explain what happened. Ask for overdraft protection. They will still charge a fee but won't return the checks.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 2:07 PM on May. 27, 2009

• i agree with last poster. get over draft protection it's a lot cheaper then the over draft fees and the ban usually pays for the checks you wrote but you would have a hegative balance of the amount of all the checks and then you have to pay for the fees the bank charges for the protection you need to get and do it asap. run hurry.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:53 PM on May. 27, 2009

• You could also put a stop payment order on the check. That means that it can't be cashed. However, there may be a fee for this service. You'd need to see which was higher: the combination of overdraft and returned check fees or the stop payment order fee.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 6:54 PM on May. 27, 2009