Can someone help me with my 2yr old potty training.

She will go to the potty to pee but not to do #2. What should I do? Also do any of you have a solution on the potty when you're out shopping? Some stores dont have bathrooms and thats when I have the most trouble. My daughter doesnt understand how to hold it. Please help!!!!

Se-Se

Asked by Se-Se at 11:18 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My girl is 28 months and *sometimes* will go #2 on the potty. The other day she did it on the potty and then later had to go again but would not come out of her hiding spot! I just keep asking her and know that she will go when she is good and ready, lol! Also, when I'm out, I just keep a regular diaper on her. In the past couple of weeks since she has seemed to be more interested in using the potty it seems she is holding her pee and then letting out a lot at one time, whereas before she would just go whenever. So, although I'm not completely comfortable bringing her to the grocery store in just undies, I usually have her pee before we leave and then when we get to a potty I let her go again, and she's been having dry diapers during the day.
    DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 11:23 AM on May. 27, 2009

• My daughter is 2 1/2 now and she still doesn't know how to do #1 or #2. If you could tell me how yours got the hang of #1 I'd really appreciate it!! My little girl just doesn't know how to go!
    ihave3turkeys

Answer by ihave3turkeys at 11:26 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Keep her full of fiber and fluids. Think of a time when she usually goes #2 (like 15 minutes after dinner is a common one) and have her sit on the potty and give her something special to do while on there (for my daughter, contraband worked -- she's not allowed to hold my chap stick, but I gave it to her on the potty and she could hold it as long as she sat there). For my daughter, once she had one or two #2 successes, she started asking to go potty for #2. If this doesn't work, you can have her walk around the house in just her undies and watch her closely... look for her trying to hide or whatever signs she gives that she's doing her business -- and whisk her away to the potty so she finishes there, reminding her that's where poo goes.
    For the outings, I found it important to have her try to go potty before leaving and again once we got where we were going, at least for the first while. She'll get better at holding it.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:30 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Cont'd : I would not put her in a diaper or pull-up for outings... that sends the wrong message (sometimes it's ok to pee your pants, other times not). Just put a plastic bag on the carseat, a towel over that, and make sure she goes often (whether she asks to or not) while you're out.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:32 AM on May. 27, 2009