Why do people care so much?

Just out of pure curiosity, why do you think people care if you do things differently than they do? I am always amazed at the comments some people give/get from other moms if their parenting ideas aren't the same (ex. extended breastfeeding vs. weaning younger, cosleeping vs. baby having own room, vaccinating vs. non vaccinating, you get the idea). So why do people care so much?

YzmaRocks

Asked by YzmaRocks at 11:22 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't know! I personally feel only the mother truly knows the wellbeing of her child! And when given advice she knows what will work for her child/children.
    Anonymous

• I don't know. I think people do what is best for their children. What you do isn't always what works best for me so why not let it be and support one another?
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 11:25 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I think it (usually) roots from good intentions. I think people have found something that they think is really important and they want to share it with others. Granted people go overboard but make sure your mind isn't closed to the advice, you might learn some healthier and better ways to do things. I know that I have.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 11:29 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I don't care how you parent so long as its not blatantly harming your child. I don't care if you formula feed or breast feed or let your kids stay up til 10 pm or put them to bed at 7, I don't care if you vaccinate your child (I vaccinate mine so they won't get the diseases when they make a comeback), I don't care if someone nurses their child til they are 2 or gives them a bottle or whatever. I think most parenting decisions are just that, decisions, that the parents have to make on what is best for them. I don't expect for anyone to parent the same way I do, and I don't expect anyone to judge my way of parenting either. If someone has a suggestion or feels I am doing something that will harm my child, by all means say something but do it politely and only bring it up once because once youve told me you've told me. I've gone to organics and such because of a suggestion someone made. If a suggestion maes sense I'll consider it
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:29 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I think that its as simple as everyone wants to be "right". as pp said they know what worked for them and so they assume it will for everyone and its not that way at all. then to be right they cross the line to make comments that can be nasty.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:32 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Some Mom's think they have all the answers I think its funny! We ask ?'s to get ideas or input not to be shot down by a mom that thinks she has ALL the answers LOL
    neveragain17

Answer by neveragain17 at 11:39 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Because many moms feel attacked when those who advocate one method insinuate that another method is not as good, and those who use that method are not good parents.
    nobakecheezcake

Answer by nobakecheezcake at 11:41 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Some people just like to fight. Sadly. And to be mean. And they also think that they're right all the time. I love the fact that the whole world isn't just like me but some folks can't handle it. They also thrive on drama - can you imagine living with them? Yikes - no peace in those homes! One other thought - sometimes, even if they have profiles you can check (and no, you can't check mine but it's for privacy of my adopted son - his biograndmother who is NOT safe or healthy is on CM) but there's a certain safety in being "anon" and if you'll notice when a lot of people really start being ugly with their snap judgments, they are quick to make it anon. Sad.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 11:42 AM on May. 27, 2009

• What aurorabunny said.
    logansmomma2007

Answer by logansmomma2007 at 11:45 AM on May. 27, 2009

• i dont care how others parent.. as long as the child is safe and happy.... i just share what ive done that works for me.. take it or leave it.... now if they are doing something potentially dangerous ill tell them... but ill make sure its jsut the facts.....
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 12:08 PM on May. 27, 2009