Cheap way of getting dress up clothes?

What is a cheap way of collecting some dress up clothes for my dd? I see cute princess outfits at Walmart/ToysRus/Ect.. But IMO $20 for a dressup costume is pricey!
How can I stock up on the magical Treasure Chest of dresses, shoes, neclaces, ect that every little girl wants & NOT BREAK THE BANK!

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 11:22 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Garage sales, second hand stores like Goodwill, dollar stores
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:42 PM on May. 27, 2009

• The best is to go shopping the day after Halloween.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:26 AM on May. 27, 2009

• go to the good will stores, and salvation army stores in your area and look for cast off bridesmaid dresses. You can cut the bottoms so they are not dragging the floor. Garage sales too...you can get necklaces and other jewelry at the mentioned placed and shows too. also the dollar stores are great for all kinds of stuff...good luck have fun!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:28 AM on May. 27, 2009

• try craigslist. We got a lot of handme downs from neighbors and those have outlasted the dresses from walmart and disney store.

Also, try Michaels for Mardi Gras bead necklaces. My MIL picked up pins from a garage sale and took the pin off so it's just the jewel front left. Those became her treasure.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 11:38 AM on May. 27, 2009

• My friend bought my daughter a set with 5 or 6 outfits, shoes, and accessories from a teacher supply store several years ago, and it was about $20 for the whole set. If you have a local kid's consignment shop you could ask them to notify you if they get a batch of dress up stuff. You might also try online sale sites like E-bay or post a want to buy ad on Craigslist.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:38 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I went to Good Will and got REAL clothes and shoes for my girls and they loved that even more! I even got a wedding dress. I'd go and spend $10 a time and get tons of stuff. After prom and things are GREAT times to go because they mark them down even further. Also - look on eBay. Scour those garage sales. Also - is there a freecycle in your area? Check out www.freecycle.org for your area - you can find tons of stuff just for the price of a trip to pick it up. Post an ad on your local craigslist (craigslist.com) that you're seeking dress up clothes, shoes, purses, jewelry, etc.

When you get a nicely stocked supply - it can be so fun to have your daughters little lady friends over - they dress up and do a fashion show - fix them tea in pretty cups and make them little finger foods - they'll feel like princesses. Take pictures - it could be a great birthday party theme or just for summer fun! :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 11:38 AM on May. 27, 2009

• when I was little my grandma always had her old dress shirts and belts along with hats and we improvised with them we had a great time and they were so big they were like dresses to us or check you local goodwill stores
    aidensmom570

Answer by aidensmom570 at 11:38 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Another idea is to buy some fabric and make your own. That way they will be unique and special. My daughter always liked homemade best even when they didn't turn out all that great. She also enjoyed helping me make them.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:39 AM on May. 27, 2009

• The Dollar store has packages of necklaces, bracelets, Tiarras, TuTu's and even shoes for $1 each.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 11:47 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Do you have a dollar tree store or a deals in your area? You can get cute little dresses and butterfly outfits and necklaces and shoes there all for $1 a piece you can't beat the price.
    sarah2309

Answer by sarah2309 at 12:00 PM on May. 27, 2009