Marijuana and breast feeding?

I did research online to see what the risks were and all the info i found that said it was bad, i found just as much info that contradicted all the info that said it was bad. im more paranoid of dr.s testing her and taking her away becuase it's illegal but im also in Ca where its legal for medical patients...my question is, on a doctors level, do any of you have and evidence that shows its bad or ok to smoke while breast feeding? and to the ones that are going to bash and say it's bad all around, just keep your comments to yourself. thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its jsut stupid and if you are worried about a dr taking your baby away then why are you doing it .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Im not a dr so I couldnt say... I would think becuase of second hand smoke alone it probably wouldnt be good tho... Not much different then regular smoking I would think.... If you really want to know exact call a clinic and ask annonomysly.... but something tells me any dr is gona tell you not to do it... sorry facts are if it aint healthy for you it aint going to be healthy for your child.... Good luck... be strong... If ya ever wana talk Im always up for conversation
    candlefire22

Answer by candlefire22 at 12:00 PM on May. 27, 2009

• smoking ciggies and smoking joints both have the same risk....inhalation of chemicals and carbon monoxide, obviously not good for you or the baby. plus the thc isnt good for the fetus. if marijuana helps you with morning sickness or whatever, try ingesting it instead. but i'd try and stop all together! especially if you fear cps getting involved
    Anonymous

• OP here: I havent been smoking and Breast feeding. and there are Many medical benefits to smoking MJ alone. I smoke cigs and the dr.s have told me its still better to BF and smoke cigs than to formula feed. just smoke right after you feed so the cigs have time to filter through your system and to not feed for atleast 95 minutes after smoking a cigarette. that's why i was wondering if it's the same for mary jane. and i have had dr.s tell me its ok to smoke while preggo.
    Anonymous

• I know my neighbor smoked cigs and mj while breastfeeding. Her girl is now 2yrs and she had to have several tests done because she sounded like she had smoker lungs/bad asthma. She developed real bad asthma and then had to have her tonsils removed to allow more air to flow to her lungs because she would stop breathing several times during the night. Just go to the formula especially since it could have an effect on her in the long run like it did to my neighbor's daughter.
    Anonymous

• anon 12pm here: geez i have mommy brain today.... DUH you asked about marijuana and BREASTFEEDING not pregnancy LOL where the hell is my brain today? toking and breastfeeding is ok, but wait till after you nurse. just like with alcohol, you wanna wait to drink till after you nurse. it takes a while for the thc and everything to pass through breastmilk
    Anonymous

• my friend smoked and BFd with both her sons till they were 18 months old..they're not 15 and 18 and just fine
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 12:13 PM on May. 27, 2009

• The doctor told you smoking and breastfeeding is better than formula? I doubt that..
    Anonymous

• OP: go ask a dr. i've had Several tell me that. breast feeding is much more beneficial than formula. it's also on that one kelly website and i think the LLL website
    Anonymous

• smoking & bfing IS better than formula. Hands down. Ask any HONEST doctor.

MJ & Bfing ... it's just like smoking a cig. don't do it around your kid ( duh) and make sure you wash up really well so none of the THC/chemicals get on your child. Just be smart around it.
    and no, i don't smoke at all.
    Anonymous