Potty training a 4 year old!

I have a 4 year old girl who potty's in the potty when she wants to. I don't know what to do to get her to do it all the time. And what's worse is she will pee in her bed or on the floor in her bedroom or any other room in the house. And she is supposed to start pre-k in August. I have tried rewarding her when she does well, I have tried everything I can think of and I am just at my wit's end my carpet shampooer broke last week so now I am having to rent one to clean up the spills. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

sarah2309

Asked by sarah2309 at 11:58 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Put her in underwear and never go back to diapers (except at night). It's the only way. She'll catch on. Give her m&m's every time she sits on the potty.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:55 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Oh sweetie i know how that feels, I was about ready to pull my hair out and cry cause i felt like i am a fail but my mom told me to watch my child who is 3 and try different tricks or see what catches his eyes the most and well it worked i have found that a piggy bank worked i would have penny or 5 cents or 10 cents and i would give him when he pottyed in the toliet and for the bm i would give him 25 cents for the night time i won't give him a drink 1 hr before bed time and i have notice that he gets up and goes to the bathroom instead of his bed and after the piggy bank is filled we would go buy something he wanted
    semiwife

Answer by semiwife at 2:20 PM on May. 27, 2009

• You said she potty's in the potty "when she wants to"... sounds like she knows what she suppose to do but probably doesn't want to stop playing long enough to go. My daughter was the same way. We started a "Potty Chart". My daughter loved it. I made a calender on the computer for the month with Potty Chart at the top and little clip art images. Every day she went without an accident she would get either a star or smiley face, days that she did have an accident she got a sad face. If she went a whole week (which didn't happen much in the beginning) we went to wal-mart and she got to spend $10. This worked wonders with her, she loved being able to see how good she did and hated it when she got a sad face. Something else to consider is videos. Who does she like? I know elmo has a potty training video so see if theres a cartoon she likes that has one. Good luck, I know its rough.
    Lovejoy0303

Answer by Lovejoy0303 at 6:34 PM on May. 27, 2009