Has anyone had a full hysterectomy before the age of 45?

I am a 36 year old who is about to have a full hysterectomy. I've been battling cervical cancer cells and endometriosis for 14 years, and the pain has become unbearable at times. Can anyone tell me what to expect after having the surgery? In the way of your hormones, hot flashes, pain from surgery, sexual intercourse with my hubby, etc? I'm so afraid that I'll feel like "less of a woman." Any answers would be truly appreciated.

lighthousemom3

Asked by lighthousemom3 at 11:59 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Health

• The day I had my surgery I was on a lot of pain, but once I was on my feet the next day it was so much better.  It takes time to heal so don't push yourself.  Get help with household chores or just leave them until you are stronger.  And above all follow your doctors recovery instructions to the letter.  I practically bounced into my doctor's office for my 6 week post-op check and almost 8 years later I have no regrets.

Good luck and feel free to pm me if you have any more questions.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:23 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I had a partial 4 days after my 38th birthday.  I still have my ovaries and am only now going through menopause (I'm almost 46).  If you are having your ovaries removed then you must discuss HRT with your doctor.  I highly recommend that you use bio-identical hormones not synthetic ones and eat tofu or drink soy milk.  Soy is a good source of natural estrogen.  In Japan where soy is a major part of their diet, there is no word for menopause because the women don't suffer from the symptoms like western women do.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:17 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Also your femininity is NOT defined by your uterus.  I personally found it very liberating not having to deal with the monthly anymore (and a whole lot cheaper). 

My sex life has not been affected in any way except maybe we do it a lot more, but I am a little dryer than I used to be.  Nothing a good lube won't fix;)

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:20 PM on May. 27, 2009