Any ideas for how to keep a dog from barking incessantly and chewing things outside?

We have a German Shepherd (4 months old) and a beagle (5 months old). The beagle tends to bay so much that he drives the neighbors nuts. I know it's to be expected with his breed, but anyone have suggestions on how to cut it down at night? Also, the German Shepherd has destroyed the trampoline net, the basketball goal, the seat on the John Deere lawnmower. Any ideas on how to prevent further damage? We aren't home during the day and never catch him chewing - just find the damage after the fact. Thanks!

nathansmom0400

Asked by nathansmom0400 at 12:05 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Pets

• walk dog daily, spend quality time with them, give long lasting chews like elk or deer antlers. You can go to pet smart and join the obiedience classes they really work have resently got a pound dog that had these same problems, Good Luck!
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 12:10 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Making sure your dogs have plenty to do while you are gone is a good idea to start with. They are telling you they are bored. Dogs need to be busy most of the time. You have a hunting dog, and a working dog. Both are at a loss at to what to do with their time when you are not around. I know it sounds crazy but I do know this from just the people that bring me their dogs for the day while they are away. If this is not possible for you, then you need to provide something for them to do. If you haven't got time to walk them to release their anxieties from boardom then provide them with activity they can do while your away. Chewies are a good start, and even having them hunt for thier food. By that I mean hiding stuff they can sniff out and eat. Remove all things that they may destroy and give them things they can have. Big time power walks will help you out the most.Tracking is another So make some changes, for them .

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 2:41 PM on May. 27, 2009

• click on this link from google, a lot of suggestions:

http://www.google.com/search?q=dog+barking+incessantly+
    Anonymous

• The GS is still a pup, right? I think this falls under the "why little things are cute" line of reasoning. My mut ate all of my best shoes (and my undies, yuck) until she was about 2. Thank God that is over! Sorry, I know that's not too helpful
    21stCenturyMom

Answer by 21stCenturyMom at 4:22 PM on May. 27, 2009

• It sounds like the dogs are always outside...am I right?? If they are, unfortunately there isn;'t that much you can do. They associate it with potty, bed, play, everything....you would have a LOT more control if they were inside for the majority (especially since they're still puppies) and you can do the training/walking and things like that.....that will help cut down...my pets are indoors so I can't really help you but that would be my suggestion.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:32 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Typically dogs bark and get into "trouble" when they are bored. We have 6 dogs and no barking issues (even with breeds that are barkers). We curtail inappropriate barking the minute it starts. We either bring them inside or crate them inside until they quiet down. I personally can and will not tolerate barking dogs as they are a nuscience to those around them including myself. We make sure there is plenty of outdoor items to stimulate there minds when outside (swimming pool, toys, sand box and bones). We make sure to rotate toys so that they do not become bored. This has worked well for us and them. Good luck.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 9:30 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Dogs bark a lot when they're bored or when they have too much energy. It's a means of release for that tension. Teaching them to bark on command is a great way to get them to STOP barking. Do these dogs ever come inside or are they outside all the time? You really need to take them on a couple of walks a day to curb the chewing. Dogs chew things, but if it's destructive, it's a problem. The expression "A tired dog is a happy dog" is SOOOO true.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 4:50 PM on May. 31, 2009