Behavioral Problems

My son is 5 years old and in preK. When I went to pick him up today his teacher approached me and said that he has been exhibiting aggressive behavior towards the other students. Apparently this is something that has been going on for a while, I knew of isolated incidences here and there but I didn't realize this was an on-going issue. She said she will tell him to keep his hands to himself and he will literally wait until she turns around and will pinch, twist arms, push, hit etc. another student. At home he isn't like this at all, he does normal "big brother" stuff and picks on his siblings every so often but nothing aggressive like this. I'm completely at a loss. I need suggestions on how to address this with him and how to make him understand this is not acceptable. His teacher has done time-outs and redirection with him with no result. I don't want him going into Kindergarten doing these things right off the bat. Help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on May. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think I would have his teacher send home a daily report on his behavior & deal with it accordingly.

Tell him that talking to him hasn't worked, so now it's time to lose his priviledges & "stuff". Let him know that for every negative report you get from the teacher, he loses "Item A" & has to earn it back with positive reports.

And the main thing --- stick with it. If you take away a toy because he was bad at school, but you give it back to him because he does something nice at home.... it sends mixed messages.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 3:55 PM on May. 27, 2009

• by: * Laura1229 And the main thing --- stick with it. If you take away a toy because he was bad at school, but you give it back to him because he does something nice at home.... it sends mixed messages.

THANK YOU!! That's the most intelligent piece of advice I've read so far.

MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 5:29 PM on May. 27, 2009

• OP here: Laura1229 that's a great idea. One of my issues with this whole thing is that he's fine at home and I can't be there to take care of it at school...I wasn't sure how to draw the connection between the two if I punish him at home for something he did at school and have him fully understand why he's getting the consequence and have the lesson stick with him. That would be a great way to do that. Thanks!
    Anonymous