Why don't you think Youtube is credible??

I've heard a lot of moms on here say things along the lines of " What you're saying isn't true or credible, because your source is Youtube". Why isn't Youtube just as credible (within reason) as something seen on TV or in a newspaper? It is ALL someones opinion. Stories in papers and magazines are written by a person with their own opinions and sources. Same with news on TV. In fact, what is on the nightly news is much more filtered than the internet. Reporters will use or not use a source, depending on what they're trying to say in their report. So, if you think about it... hearing something someone has discovered on their video on Youtube may be more credible, because they don't have to answer to an editor.
Just something to think about......

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 12:21 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• UTube is credible if you look in the right places. My Senators do UTube videos to send out to their constituants so they can see the interviews and the goings on in the congress. Many videos are just people videoingtheir opinions though. You just have to be smart enough to know what is etertainment and what is education.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:24 PM on May. 27, 2009

• If I can't use it as a source on a college paper, then it isn't credible to me.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 12:26 PM on May. 27, 2009

• A lot of the stuff on youtube is just crazy people ranting. That's not to say that there isn't anything useful but if you're trying to present 'facts' that are presented by one person posting on youtube then you're going to be discredited. I could post a video arguing that cool whip is health food or that all dogs have 6 legs but that doesn't make it true.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 12:29 PM on May. 27, 2009

• People need to be smart enough to recognize fact from fiction. YouTube is good source for news videos. Yes, there are some that post stupid and far-out stuff, but recognize that as entertainment. However, just because someone posts something that may appear to be far-fetched doesn't necessarily make it untrue. It is up to you to research something if it interests you or if it sparks that "what if" question. Many people use YouTube to reach out and make people aware of things that they might not know. We are conditioned to believe certain things are true and other things are false by the media and by our Government. Blindly following and believing everything that certain people tell you is not a good thing. Everyone should look into things for themselves and determine what is true and what is false.
    Anonymous

• Anon- "Many people use YouTube to reach out and make people aware of things that they might not know. We are conditioned to believe certain things are true and other things are false by the media and by our Government. Blindly following and believing everything that certain people tell you is not a good thing. Everyone should look into things for themselves and determine what is true and what is false."

Thanks... that's what I'm trying to say.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 12:58 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Because it's YOUTUBE for heaven sakes! I mind as well get my information from the inside of my Cracker Jack Box.
    Anonymous

• because any moron can put a video on youtube saying whatever they think is truth. i could make a video saying the moon is made of cheese & its going to attack us & make us pay high prices for cheese. for the most part the newspaper & tv arent just anybody, but you still shouldnt take anyone's opinion on tv as fact either. but if you can find something on youtube, tv, or newspaper & then can find a credible source to back it up, THEN its worth something.

i think Mythic put it the best...if i cant use it for a scholarly paper then its not credible.

okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:15 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Probably because of videos like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op1KhOlFc1w&feature=related
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 2:15 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Does it mean then THIS is not "credible?!" Maybe it was all an elaborate "hoax?!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjnygQ02aW4

It is afterall on "You Tube!" LMAO!!! :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:33 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Actually, you can get valid info from youtube. You just have to get past the junk. Sort of like real life!

I have used to get stuff I wanted to see from c-span and it my son watched some cool Nasa stuff. It all depends on how you approach it. You have to be smart, you can't just believe anything because you "see" it on tv/internet or read it. Do the backup research.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:52 PM on May. 27, 2009