im 17 && i've gotten the depo shot for a year now, but i missed it could i be preg?

so i've been getting the depo shit since July 07, && i was supposed to get it every 3 months but i missed it this month i was supposed to get it
6-7-08 && now its 6-17-08. i've been throwing up like every 3 days && my back, hips, && theighs hurt all the time. im thinking about getting atest done. but i want options first.

Rachelxbby

Asked by Rachelxbby at 3:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let's see, I got it a little bit after I had my son, so I was on it over a year before I stopped getting the shots and got pregnant only about a week after it ran out :)
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 5:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• its posible to get preg. even if you never miss a shot but more likly if you miss one
    rachel_07

Answer by rachel_07 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Although it's possible, many women find that it can take them up to one year for their ovulations to start back after discontinuing the Depo shot. If you were as far along as you would be right now (not far AT ALL) then it would be highly unlikely that you would already have the symptoms you have mentioned. Those probably wouldn't set on for at least another couple of weeks. I say give yourself a few days and then test. If your test comes back positive then there's your obvious answer. If it's negative, then you can go and get your depo shot but be sure they give you another pregnancy test in their office as it's not good to get the shot while pregnant. Good luck!
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 3:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• could i just be sick from not having the shot,
    but i never used condoms && let him unno in me
    && we still had sex even after i missed it [i didn't know i missed it yet]
    Rachelxbby

Answer by Rachelxbby at 3:53 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• It's possible that you could be sick from not getting the shot, because it does some really funky things to your hormone levels.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 3:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Well I was on the depo shot and it screwed up my body something aweful when I went off of it, It is possible that you can get pregnany, but the chances of your baby surviving are not very good, i know 3 people that happened too and they went into early labor and the baby didnt make it or miscarried. I would be getting a test for sure.
    Mami2LelanChloe

Answer by Mami2LelanChloe at 4:00 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Theres always a chance of being pg. I know someone who got pg even though she got the shots and on time.It could also be your body reacting to missing the shot.
    momofsixangels

Answer by momofsixangels at 4:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I was thinking it could just be symptoms from the shot, but you've probably had it long enough. I think you should get tested just to ease your mind or talk to your doctor about it. Good luck!
    amoremio

Answer by amoremio at 4:03 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• "It is possible that you can get pregnany, but the chances of your baby surviving are not very good"

This is not entirely true. Although Depo messes with your body and can cause you to miscarry, the likelihood of the baby surviving very much outweigh the likelihood of miscarriage. However I know people on both sides of the fence. My friend has had 10+ miscarriages since coming off depot about two years ago...and has yet to be able to carry a child full term. Then there's me. I got pregnant after only being off depo a week!
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 4:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I agree, I would test but IMO it is probably just your body going through the withdraw of the depo hormones. I was on it for a year and 3 month after I had my daughter when we decided I would go off so we could start TTC. I didn't even get my monthlys back for another 11 months. Altogether it took us right around 2.5 years to conceive our son. Everyone is different though. I do remember having a bit of nausea after I went off of the pill because my first though was pregnancy, I was so excited because everyone told me how hard it was to conceive after Depo. I tested and it was neg. so chances are that it could be the shot.
    Jessicaandelzie

Answer by Jessicaandelzie at 4:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2008