Should close relatives be allowed to marry?

My friend and I were discussing this the other day. If a genetically related brother & sister wanted to get married should they legally be allowed to do so? To my understanding, the reason that it's not legal is because there's a high chance for abnormalities in their offspring. But in this day & age that can be avoided. If the man were willing to get a vasectomy and they either didn't plan on having children or planned on having them through adoption/sperm donor. Under this scenario is there any reason not to allow it? Personally, I'm inclined to say it shouldn't be legal just because it seems too icky & unnatural, but is that really good enough reason not to allow it? If not, is there a good reason?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I would say no still don't allow it. I agree with you that it is sick and unnatural. But is it really a good reason too. Again I personally would say yes. They are brother and sister. They are siblings for life. They were not meant to be spouses. But i am sure there is some crazy person somewhere that would fight it saying if they don't have offspring, or adopt that it should be allowed blah blah blah. But still i would say no. Just my opinion though.
    Anonymous

• This was a documentary on Discovery or something over the weekend....changed my mind about it. I think anyone's first reaction is absolutely no, but if you saw this show I think it would change most anyone's mind. Very interesting stuff.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:46 PM on May. 27, 2009

• If they want to have a relationship then nothing is stopping them from just living together and not marrying.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 12:49 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Ewwwwwwwww......
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 12:58 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Sounds sick and wrong to me but who am I to judge? From what I understand the chance or incidence of genetic problems is actually pretty small. Royal families have been inbreeding for centuries. As long as they are consenting adults it's not my concern.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 1:13 PM on May. 27, 2009

• The first reaction is OH HELL NO, but if they were both adopted and not raised knowing they were related, and they didn't plan on having natural children, (use AI or adopt) I suppose it would be okay, but I don't think very many would want to, even in that case, it's just too...something.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:35 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Why not our country is becoming more and more immoral by the day anyway do it all in.Everything goes as long as it feels good.
    Anonymous

• I feel like one of those scrubbing bubbles on that commercial when they say Ewwwwww. There's no way in hell I'd marry my half brother....lazy ass SOB.
    Anonymous

Well I'll be....looks like we have ourselves a winner! lol
    Anonymous

How prexactly did Adam and Eve's kids breed again?

Yeah. So here in the real world. The taboo against it is one of the oldest, from the most societies, because of the genetic factor, but its entirely possible these days for siblings to meet and never know they were siblings. How about sperm donors? Unless we add DNA testing before granting marriage licenses, chances are there are probably already a few siblings out there married (or at least who've dated) and had no clue.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:52 PM on May. 27, 2009