Toys recommendations for a 4 1/2 year old..

Title says it all...

My son needs some more toys now that he is older and I don't know what to get. They are so ridiculously priced and half the time he never plays with them.

He loves cars, trucks, play tools (hammers etc...)

Any learning toys you recommend??

BSFreeMama

Asked by BSFreeMama at 12:37 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Study after study shows that the best toys for children are the simplest. I've heard the axiom, "The less a toy does, the more your child will do with it." I think that's great, and it's totally true. The best toys I remember were when my mom let us build forts with the sheets and blankets, or play with the pots and pans. So keep it simple. Fabric remnants or clearance fabric at Wal-Mart are a cheap and amazing toy, it can be a cape, or a roof, or a curtain for your little performer's stage. Blocks are perhaps the best toys in the entire world, and can be inexpensive. My son's favorite set came with 50 blocks for $9.99. You can probably find great sets at your local children's consignment shop for less. And finally, bust out your tupperware, pots and pans and let them have a good time. Simple is best - balls, blocks, stacking cups, and fabric. :)
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 1:28 PM on May. 27, 2009

• My son likes LIncoln logs, legos, building blocks, his globe, a planetarium toy we found, Snap circuit sets, board games, dominoes, trouble, Don't break the ice, Cootie, Checkers, Transformers, robots...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:39 PM on May. 27, 2009

• My son loves transformers, and starwars stuff. Any kind of lazer gun or gun looking thing that makes noises. Take him into the toy store and let him look, he will tell you what he thinks is cool. you might try craigslist in your area online. I buy a lot of stuff off there for my kids and it's cheap. My son doesnt really like the learning toys. I have to set time aside for that. Painting, drawing, abc type stuff, i do that myself.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 1:13 PM on May. 28, 2009