HELP! I don't know HOW to eat healthy...

I really want to start getting healthy ~ all of us.

But healthy eating when I was growing up meant there were peas in out MacNCheese...

I know you should eat veggies, fruits, whole grains... But don't know what to do with it once I have it. I buy fresh fruit and veggies and they go bad because no one eats them. My DH is VERY picky! He thinks that meat, noodles and little debbie are the only food groups that matter.

I only have about $400 a month to feed 4 people on, so I can't be making Salmon every night and frankly wouldn't know how if I could.

I need some real help here. But don't know where to turn!

Some one HELP ME!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Health

• any soup fans in the house? you can always make yummy soup with veggies, or if you have a juicer make some fresh juice in the morning with the fruits and veggies! my son likes sweet potato fries. once steamed and soft, I let sit in the fridge over night. next day I slice them into finger friendly fries, dose them with olive oil and bake in 350 till nice and crisp!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:57 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Go to the Library and check out books on nutrition and cook books to give you ideas and instructions about cooking. It is not that hard. Start now by buying bananas,apples, orange juice and salads-leaf lettuce, eggs,healthy fish or chicken that you can bake or broil. Don't fry. Take a One-A-Day vitamin . Simple,easy!!!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 1:08 PM on May. 27, 2009

• To start, cut back on the amount of breads, crackers, pasta, potatoes and rice in your diet. Add leafy greens to lunch and dinner (chef salad; crab, tuna, ham or chicken salad served on a bed of greens; tossed salads). I buy frozen veggies instead of canned and steam a bag for each dinner. Incorporate veggie sticks, fresh fruit, lowfat yogurts into your snacks. Cook lean meats like chicken breast, round steaks (think stir fry, stew, strips cooked in clear broth in a crockpot), ground chuck or round instead of hamburger, ground turkey in casseroles, or even have meatless meals like eggs & salsa, lentil stew, bean soup etc. My family enjoys tuna or salmon patties but won't eat fish any other way.
    I'm diabetic and I have to eat healthy. My family eats the same way I do. I can only afford to spend $250 a month to feed 4 adults, 3 tweens, 3 dogs and 3 cats. I know that it's possible to eat healthy w/o spending a ton of $$$
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:27 PM on May. 27, 2009

• When you buy pasta buy whole grain pasta or pasta that has more fiber content. This helps a bunch, then the pasta is good for you. Also I get the store brand sauce accept for the Alfredo. The store brand doesn't have sugar content. Also I would suggest that you get oils that have omegas in them rather that straight vegetable oil. Then find good substitutes for sugar not the fake stuff. Honey, Agave, and xylitol (ask me for the site for that one) If you can't get those veggies in them I have a drink that is good for that called Ultimate green zone. You can also cut them up and put them on a plate with sea salt and plain yogurt to dip them in. I make no knead sourdough bread if you like baking measage me for the recipe. God Bless! If you need an herbalist I'm here.
    GarlicMom

Answer by GarlicMom at 2:23 PM on May. 27, 2009

• You can start by going to your local library and checking out cookbooks. There are also great websites with recipes using whole grains, beans and vegetables. www.vegweb.com has 1000s of family tested recipes.
    Here are typical meals at our house. If you send me a message, I will be happy to forward recipes to you. I hate to cook, so most meals take about 20 minutes. If you have family favorite recipes, i can check to see if I have healthy versions. If you have a crockpot, I have great recipes. Will you husband eat any ethnic food? Other cultures are much better about eathing healthy than we are.
    noodles and broccoli with peanut sauce
    lentil tacos
    tofu fish sticks
    layered taco salad
    ginger stir-fry over brown rice
    General Tsao's tofu
    kung pow vegetables
    soups and stews with veggies and beans
    mushroom lasagne

-Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 3:28 PM on May. 27, 2009