Im at a loss :(

I dont know what to do anymore! My son is constantly acting up! We hae tried spanking in the past and that just makes him cry. You say come here and he says "I dont want to". Hes extremely sensitive and loving he just doesnt like to listen! Timeouts dont work, threatening to take away toys and telling him he cant see his friends dont work! I dont know what to do but hes driving me crazy!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You can't just threaten to take away the toys, you have to actually DO IT. I know, that's hard, but it will get the message across when you actually take away something he really enjoys and throw it away. He will learn quickly that there are consequences for his actions, and he will want to avoid those consequences in the future.
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 1:15 PM on May. 27, 2009

• stop making empty threats. if you say you are going to take his toys away then take them away!!! make him earn them back with good behavior. at some point or another he figured out that you are not going to follow through with punishments so threating to do so means nothing to him. follow through, be strong. you will see a change in his mood and temper very quickly. if he screams for 2 hours let him. it is not going to be easy for either of you but for his, and your, benefit something has to be done. reassure him that even if you are mad at him and he is being punished you still love him more than anything in the world. it will also help if you have specific guidelines. example: if you dont do what mommy asks the first time you will loose your___(favorite toy) and you will have to earn it back by listening. good luck!!!
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 1:16 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I've been through the same thing. I'm guessing for the timeouts that he is put in his room for a bit. That didn't work for my son. A time out on the wall is what helped better. Have him face the wall, hands on it, not allowed to sit or look around. The thing is that they can hear regular activity in the same room as them, and they can't join. After he has calmed down talk with him. I tell my son why he is going on the wall, he stays on for 2 min, I repeat why I put him on the wall. So when he is calm make sure you have good eye contact at the same level (not looking down on him) ask him if he knows what he did wrong- helps make sure he understands. Have him apologize. And say to him that you love him and want him to have fun but he needs to listen to you. End with a hug of course. Very important that he understands why he was on the wall, and eye contact at same level very important. Try not to yell. Good luck
    marcydarcy

Answer by marcydarcy at 1:25 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Try playing with him, using imaginitive play and maybe you can figure out what is really bothering him. Is he going thru something at home? A divorce, moving, death, anything different? Maybe he is just testing you too. Let him know you will tell him once with a warning, and the next time he will get punished. Be clear on what the punishment is. Spanking, timeout, what ever, and stick to it.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 1:10 PM on May. 28, 2009