37 weeks pregnant when should the doc. check me

my doctor said that I dont need to be checked until I am having contractions. I have heard from alot of people they get checked from 37 weeks on and I am anxious to know if I am dialated at all. Should I make him check me anyways? I am measuring at 38 weeks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Why would you want to be checked? It's uncomfortable and really pointless. It increases your risk of infection too.
    Anonymous

• If your dieing to know if your dialated at all just ask if he will cheak you... most dr will cheak you if you request it but I know my dr wouldnt have if I hadnt asked... Many dr dont want to make you go through the vaginal exam if there is no need... Im right with you tho I said please cheak me! I just gota know! Bummer me never got passed 1 centemeter till it was time :( lol
    candlefire22

Answer by candlefire22 at 1:06 PM on May. 27, 2009

• im 37 1/2 weeks, was wondering same thing, but it could cause you to star5t dialating i heard once before, not sure if thats true though. Most dr's wont do it unless necessary or requested.
    tjandjenna

Answer by tjandjenna at 1:08 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Not all docs even do checks. It doesn't really mean much, you can walk around several centimeters dilated for weeks, or not dilate at all until you are in active labor. There is a risk of infection every time they do it, so a lot of them don't unless there is a reason.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:11 PM on May. 27, 2009

• You can request to be checked if you're curious. I got checked once in my 37th week and was not dilated at all.
    Anonymous

• You can asked to be checked anytime. Hell, you can even do it yourself if you know what you're looking for (or can get your arms around your belly LOL) but I will tell you one thing, it means nothing. You might be making progress, just get your hopes up and nothing happens. I have a girlfriend who walked around for two weeks 4 cm and 90% effaced before going into labor. Or... you might just get discouraged thinking you haven't made ANY progress and go into labor shortly after - like I did. VEs just introduce more bacteria up there where it doesn't need to be, for no good reason. I wont even be checked in labor.
    Caramelturtle

Answer by Caramelturtle at 1:31 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I got checked last week at my 37 week appointment.
    You don't have to though.
    It's your choice.
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 2:17 PM on May. 27, 2009

• My doctors office starts checking weekly at 36 weeks. I liked it with my son because it helped me think that I was progressing and that labor could actually start before my scheduled induction but it pissed me off with my daughter. I started dilating at 31 weeks with her and was told that I would NOT make it to 36 weeks. But 37 weeks I was still pregnant, 5 cm dilated & 80% effaced but i STILL wasnt in labor. However my cousin was checked at 37 weeks and was 1 cm dilated and hardly effaced at all. The doc told her she would probably end up being late since it was her first kid. Well... 10 hours later she was in full blown labor. It gives false hope/disappointment in my opinion
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:21 PM on May. 27, 2009

• The checks are pointless, they can only tell you if you are dilated or not but that doesn't mean anything. You can go from 0 to 10 cm in a couple of hours but you can also walk around dilated a couple of cm for many weeks.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 4:14 PM on May. 27, 2009