How can I make him change?

My 3 year old son is extremely loving and sensitive! But he hates to listen! Little spankings dont work, timeouts make him cry relentlessly, yelling at him makes him yell louder than you. Even threatening to take away and ACTUALLY taking away his toys dont work. He's talking back now testing us with every movement. Going to do something and we say NO so he looks at us while we do it to see what we will do. Im at a complete loss and dont know what to do but hes driving me crazy!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• U just have to wait- he will get older- it is a phase- just dont scream at him- tell him ur are going to take away his favorite tv show, or put him to bed early- it has to be something he really wants that is taken away for a punishment. Then when the punishment is over make she u tell him u still love him, but he has to be a good boy and do what ever/ or dont do what ever.
    Anonymous

• I whisper to my little one... "That isnt a nice behavoir, you are a nice boy, and that behavior isnt acceptable." He needs to be quiet to hear what I'm saying. I usually try to entice him by saying what he can do... Instead of telling him "dont throw the ball in the house" I say, "lets roll the ball on the floor" I find giving him the things he CAN do, vs the things he CANT do work a little better for my guy. Please dont misunderstnad... as a mommy, Im grasping at ideas from friends...a freind with a well behaved 5 year old told me this is what she does... so, I'm doing it too- and hoping it works. So far so good... my little one is pretty respectful (80% of the time...?) and most of the time I can either take his attention away from the thing he is doing that I dont want him to be doing by suggesting we go do something else I like for him to do. Good luck!!
    SamMom912

Answer by SamMom912 at 3:06 PM on May. 27, 2009

• It sounds like timeouts DO work. He hates them and crys when you use them. Keep using them.

And as SamMom found, I've also found that whispering works. When I had a really bad cold recently, I couldn't talk above a whisper for days. Every time I had to scold my daughter, she LISTENED to what I was saying. It was awesome.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:36 PM on May. 27, 2009

• As long as you are being repetitve it will eventually pay off, patience...
    Anonymous