would you get your cat a sling for this?

my cat had an injury months ago to his leg, in the end the vet said they can do nothing for him and he walks with a permanent limp..he will forever be al imp and the muscle tissue in that back leg is slowly dwindling (muscle atrophy) would you get him a sling to hold up the back leg since he barely uses it anyways to make it easier on him or just let him limp around? the vets can do nothing.....they said thats just how he is going to be for the rest of his life now.
im wondering if i should get him a lil sling maybe to use sometimes to help him.....or even if i should consider amputation one day . it is not completely lifeless.about 90 percent..but for the most part he just limps on it and sticks it out to the side all awkward

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 1:13 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Pets

• if you wanted to spend the money for a sling then i would, does it bother him much? resumes normal activities? if he is in some kind of pain from this you may want to put him to sleep so he doesnt suffer :(
    tjandjenna

Answer by tjandjenna at 1:20 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Jeez, don't kill him unless he is in pain. A 4 legged animal can usually learn to get around fine on 3 legs if they have to. So a limp is no reason to put him to sleep, pain yes, limp no. BTW a sling might just irritate him.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:49 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I wouldn't go through trying to have him wear a sling. I've known three legged animals in my lifetime and they do just fine on their three legs.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't get him a sling, no. It might just annoy him, and if he's doing fine, then leave him be, I say. :] However, I may discuss amputation with the vet, since you mentioned that he walks with it kind of sticking out and awkward? It might one day cause another injury. Never know?
    Best wishes on your precious kitty! <3

Btw. I have NO idea in this entire question where it states that she was going to put him down, Pagan_Mama... I actually re-read this like 4 times to make sure that I didn't overlook it. Where did you even...come up with that thought? :/
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 8:18 PM on May. 27, 2009

• pagan mama- amputation is just to have a limb removed, euthanization is the word for putting an animal to sleep. the OP never said she wanted to put her cat to sleep!
    OP- if you think the sling would improve your cat's quality of life, then i would get one. if the leg doesn't seem to impose on his life any, then you might not need to worry about spending the money to get one. good luck in whatever you decide!
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 9:37 PM on May. 27, 2009