How do i get my husband to exercise and eat better?

On my husband's side of the family, early death is common. he once had a cousin that died of a heartattack at the age of 32. my husband had always been "heavy" and enjoys his fair share of red meat. i always ask him if he wants to go work out with me for atleast 30 mins, but he says he too tired from work. he also smokes alot and shows no signs of trying to quit. so what's the best way to try and get him healthier without pressuring him too much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Trying to get someone like that to change will be difficult. But if you do the grocery shopping and/or the cooking...just don't have the bad stuff in the house.

As for the exercise, tr not to phrase it that way. Ask him, "So, do you feel like talking a walk with me? Just to get some fresh air and relax a little bit?" If you say "exercise" he might feel you have higher expectations than what you really do.

I hate to say it but...ultimately the smoking will be counter productive in the end. I'd work on that first. Exercise might be a good way to replace the smoking habbit. GOOD LUCK!
    TaiyoandMe

Answer by TaiyoandMe at 2:30 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Good question! Haha. If he is anything like my husband, he will eat what you cook. Sure, he would rather have a nice juicy steak; and on rare occasions I ablidge. But for the most part, if I cook boneless skinless chicken breast and stir fry that's what he'll eat. I can't say what he eats while he is away from home at work on his lunch breaks...but what can you do? Offer to pack his lunches for him and then follow through. Go online and look up recipes for healthy but tasty meals...and on ways to make some normally high fat meals healthier. Get up earlier and make breakfast. If it's there, even if it's healthy, he just might eat it.

As far as smoking, I have the same issue there. The only thing I can reccommend is to do the research yourself on new ways to stop smoking. Prescriptions, patches, gum, hypnosis, etc... and then have a sit down talk with him. Tell him you are worried about his health and then show him...
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:34 PM on May. 27, 2009

• options. In many cases, like my own hubby, they may wish they could quit but don't think they can or are too busy/lazy to figure out how.

As for exercise...maybe find a way to make it fun. Take the kids to the park and climb up and down the slides with them. Find a sport he likes and go outside and play. Get a membership to the YMCA and take a swim after work. If you can find a way to make it seem like a family activity that is fun and enjoyable, he may not resist so hard.

Alas, if none of your tactics work...you may just have to let him know you love him and are concerned and then hope for the best. Pray for him...because in the end, someone has to want to change for change to happen and for those changes to last. Don't nag...just show concern. Tell him in a joking way like "For some reason that I can't imagine, I want to keep you around". Nagging will only hurt your cause! Adopt healthy changes yourself as an example
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:38 PM on May. 27, 2009

• My friend Cheryl brought home a million dollar life insurance policy on her husband. She told him that she wanted to be a rich widow, since he was hell bent on eating and working himself to death. He went ballistic, but had a prescription for Chantix in two weeks. Their whole family eats pretty much McDougall now (turned out he had developed type 2 diabetes, and a low fat vegan diet is now considered to be healthiest).
    You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html. Feel free to ask me any questions. -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 8:05 PM on May. 28, 2009