Moms with children in a home day care

Does your home day care provider take paid vacation days? My son's day care sent home a notice saying she will be closed for a week in August (paid) and again December 22-January 1st (also paid) I understand and agree with paid holidays but a whole two weeks!? That's $400 for 2 weeks that I'm going to have to look for (and probably pay) someone else to watch my son. Is this normal for day care? I'm new to this but it seems a little ridiculous? I know regular jobs get paid vacations days but..I don't know.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on May. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am a home day care provider and I do get paid vacation days. Most people who work get paid vacations at their job! You are asking a provider to be open year round for your needs and not take a break? If you look into child care centers you will not have to deal with paid vacations but you will pay a good deal more for your childcare. All of my families know before they start with me that I take vacation. I also give my families up to 2 weeks that they can take for vacation during the year and not pay me while they are gone so it is a two way street. A home provider is running their own business. If you do not like the way they run their business then chances are you do not really respect them as a child care provider for your child. Look elsewhere for something that meets your needs, but remember ultimately you are trusting your child to them so prioritize what is more important - cost or the care they provide
    LCCTracie

Answer by LCCTracie at 3:29 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I had my cousin in a home daycare when he was my foster child. We did not pay for any time our provider didn't actually watch him, vacations included.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 2:02 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I don't use daycare...sorry that I can't offer any advice other then that sounds insane to me! To require TWO WEEKS payment so she can go on vaca??

Did you agree to this when you signed up with her...like did you have to sign a contract? Or is this the first time you've heard anything about this?
    PB_J

Answer by PB_J at 2:08 PM on May. 27, 2009

• You pay for a service, when not recieving a service you dont pay!!! thats rediculous!!! i dont care how good the babysitter is! she chose to work in a business that doesnt have a "regular" benifits package. thats her loss. I think you should question this. or try ahead of time to pick out a new day care if possible!!!???
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:39 PM on May. 27, 2009