how to help my sister after a hard birth and hurting down there??

ok so my sister gave birth a couple of days ago and she is a VERY tiny girl and when she was giving birth the baby got stuck on her pelvic bone and they had to tear her really bad and use forceps to pull the baby out well she is hurting badly down there and she asked the doctor how many stitches and he said about 45 wow she is in soo much pain is there anything else she can do to help they only gave her some foam and pain pills! is there anything else she can do?? thanks

Reneemommy

Asked by Reneemommy at 1:46 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes, ICE! Nurses should've told her to use icebags down there to ice it up for a week or two! That's what I did, I had major stitches. Poor girl...make sure it's okay to do that. Plus she should be douching with pure water (they usually give you a douching bottle from hospital) for the after birthing to keep stitches clean.

She SHOULD also have been prescribed stool softeners so that pooping is not hard on the stitches! She also should have Tucks wipes for that area (rear)....b/c of stinging.

Also big pads, sit on the couch a lot with ice bags stuffed down her pants. Make sure the blood goes away after about a week, if it gets worse make sure no stitches opened and call doc if it gets worse.
    bablondie

Answer by bablondie at 2:20 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I agree completely with PP! Make sure she uses ice all she can, and have her call the DR and find out what stool softeners she can use! Trying to poop with a couple of stitches (let alone 45!) if awful!
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 2:23 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Oh no, poor thing. Such a sweet sister to be wanting to help her out in her time of need. I'd def get the stool softeners because its going to help tremendously not to have to strain to poop. I'd go for the ice, too. Did they give her some Peri Wash to use to rinse after going to the bathroom? It helped me a lot when I tore with my first child.
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 2:42 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Have her eat lots of dried and fresh fruit and drink tons of water. It'll make her stools softer. Also, I agree with everyone else ice!! And tucks pads. I had a 4th degree tear and vacuum delivery so I know how she feels. Good luck to her!
    Linsala

Answer by Linsala at 2:57 PM on May. 27, 2009

• She needs to do a sitz bath everyday even 2 times a day.u can buy them at walmart you attach it to the toilet and put warm water in it and she sits and it feels so good on the episiotomy omg,,,,/!!!
    JeanieJazzysmom

Answer by JeanieJazzysmom at 3:23 AM on May. 28, 2009