How in the world do you monitor your child(ren) while working?

I was unemployed when I became stay-at-home-mom. I don't think I would have become one if hadn't lost my job.

All my respects go to the working moms who multi-task and manage their time to provide to the household. But I was wondering how do you manage the emotional part? Where were you when your child got his/her first tooth, or where were you when your child learn to ride the bike etc?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• I understand both sides of this arguement. Ive been out of work since i had my son. and hes 5months now! im trying to go back to work but avoid putting him in daycare. I want my fiance to stay with him, kind of switch, that way i know hes getting the attention i want him to have. This is time you cant get back, but unfortunately everyone isnt in a position to do what they want, most people do what they HAVE to!!! take plenty of pictures to work, and try to grin and bare it! It is hard, but i would try to leave your baby with a baby sitter for extended periods to get used to the idea of being seperated. It has to get easier. Just make the most out of the time you have when your together. Children cant be with you 24/7!! Dont geel guilty. You have to work to feed him right?! a happy mommy makes a happy baby.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:27 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I know where I was...right with them. How mothers can work and let someone else do the mothering and get to be there for all the exciting times is beyond me. I think that they deal with the "emotional" part by not having any emotions tied to those times. How awful and selfish.
    Anonymous

• Are you saying I'm selfish for working and not being with my child 24/7? So I'm selfish for not depending on the government to pay for my housing and utilities?
    Anonymous

• Working mothers do what is needed to support their children. I don't understand why stay-at-home mothers feel the need to make working mothers feel guilty about working.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:48 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Well, I manage to stay home, on one (not terribly high) income and have no government help. I work hard to stretch our funds and be able to stay home with my kids. My kids will be better for it, too. You shouldn't have kids if you are going to dump them onto someone else to raise them. It's so unfair to the kids.
    Anonymous

• i worked for about a year and a half, then i had to quit b/c of pregnancy related issues in my second pregnancy and now theres no point in trying to go back in a few months b/c the cost of child care will be outrageous with an infant and a preschooler. so i get both sides of this, i had to work when i did and now i have to not work (otherwise i'll be paying more for childcare than i make, even though we could use the money) but as far as missing that stuff, it sucks and it hurts alot but it was miss my daughters first time getting in and out of the tub by herself (didnt start working til she was about 10 months got lucky and didnt miss the words or major major stuff) or not be able to get her new clothes when she needed them, or no xmas/bday stuff. so i worked so that she could have the stuff she needed and my husbands job could pay the actual bills. now we just have to cut back alot and not do the fun stuff as often.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:57 PM on May. 27, 2009