Is America "Babylon the Harlot" as described in Revelations?

The new Babylon will be like ancient Babylon, which had no indigenous race, language, religion, or culture of its own, but became a unique blend of the cultures it assimilated. It will also resemble the even more ancient spirit of Babel:

"...the LORD said, "Behold, they are one people, and they all have the same language. And this is what they began to do, and now nothing which they purpose to do will be impossible for them." - Genesis 11:6

The people of Babylon will indulge in and justify every imaginable evil.
"Fallen, fallen is Babylon the great! and she has become a dwelling place of demons and a prison of every unclean spirit, and a prison of every unclean and hateful bird.

"...I heard another voice from heaven, saying, 'Come out of her, my people, that you may not participate in her sins and that you may not receive of her plagues; for her sins have piled up as high as heaven, and God has remembered her CONT

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 1:53 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I disagree, Shaneagle777. I believe that this speaks of the US:

“Then I saw another beast coming up out of the earth, and he had two horns like a lamb and spoke like a dragon.” (Revelation 13:11)

John saw a great nation rising "out of the earth", which makes this beast different from other "beasts" ( representing kingdoms, nations see Daniel 7) Daniel's beasts all rose from "the sea" ( waters, sea representing a multitude of people see Revelation 17:15) Babylon, Persia, Greece and Rome all rose from the midst of a sea of peoples in Europe and the Middle East. Not so with the beast in Revelation 13:11–it comes from the earth. This is a nation which arises out of a sparsely populated area.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 4:37 PM on May. 27, 2009

• iniquities.'" - Revelation 18:2-5

Having been a fountain of evil for some time, Babylon's immorality will rapidly increase in the final days preceding her sudden demise.

Babylon will have violence in its heart and innocent blood on its hands.
    "And I saw the woman drunk with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the witnesses of Jesus. And when I saw her, I wondered greatly". - Revelation 17:6

"And when He broke the fifth seal, I saw underneath the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God, and because of the testimony which they had maintained; and they cried out with a loud voice, saying, 'How long, O Lord, holy and true, wilt Thou refrain from judging and avenging our blood on those who dwell on the earth?' And there was given to each of them a white robe; and they were told that they should rest for a little while longer, until the number of their fellow servants and CONT
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:54 PM on May. 27, 2009

• their brethren who were to be killed even as they had been, should be completed also." - Revelation 6:9-11

Babylon's "beast" government will be ruled by its "harlot" people.
    "...the great harlot who sits on many waters ...I saw a woman sitting on a scarlet beast...having...ten horns..." - Revelation 17:1, 3

The people represented by the "great harlot" rule like a queen over the beast she rides, which symbolizes the government or political movement that will give rise to the antichrist. The leaders of that government hate their subjection to this "queen" and intend to overthrow her power, the power of self-governance. In effect, this is very much like ancient Israel in the days of the judges, of which it is written, "In those days there was no king in Israel; everyone did what was right in his own eyes." (Judges 17:6, 21:25) CONT

AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:56 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Like ancient Babylon, the great harlot will be a mighty military power that will dispense God's wrath against others.
    "How the hammer of the whole earth Has been cut off and broken! How Babylon has become An object of horror among the nations!" - Jeremiah 50:23

"[Yahweh] says, 'You are My war-club, My weapon of war; And with you I shatter nations, And with you I destroy kingdoms. And with you I shatter the horse and his rider, and with you I shatter the chariot and its rider, And with you I shatter man and woman, and with you I shatter old man and youth, and with you I shatter young man and virgin, and with you I shatter the shepherd and his flock, and with you I shatter the farmer and his team, and with you I shatter governors and prefects.

"'But I will repay Babylon and all the inhabitants of Chaldea for all their evil that they have done in Zion before your eyes, declares the LORD. Behold, I am against you, O destroy
    AprilDJC

• who destroys the whole earth,' declares the LORD, 'and I will stretch out My hand against you, and roll you down from the crags and I will make you a burnt out mountain.'" - Jeremiah 51:20-25 Babylon will have unrivaled military power that will have been employed on numerous occasions to fulfill God's will in subduing other forces of evil in the world. However, when they begin arrogantly launching military exploits for their own purposes as though the same thing, they will draw God's wrath.There's more but I'm tired of doing this lol so here's the links:

http://www.scatteredsheep.com/perilous_times/babylon_attributes.htm

http://www.scatteredsheep.com/perilous_times/red_white_blue_babylon.htm

AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:58 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Sorry for the REALLY long question lol but I am not studied in the verses of Revelation and upon reading it this is what immediately came to my mind.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:59 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I believe it is. America is so morally corrupt it reminds me of Sodom and Gomorah before they were destroyed.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 2:04 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I have my beliefs as to who and what this "harlot" represents. In prophecy a woman represents a church, an impure woman represents a false church or system of religion.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 2:07 PM on May. 27, 2009

• ...and this "woman" is not the U.S.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 2:08 PM on May. 27, 2009

• If the Beast is supposed to be the Roman Empire, why can't the Harlot be U.S.?
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:16 PM on May. 27, 2009